Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th January 2011, 04:10 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default help! Exploding diy remote control volume board!

Hi all

Well.. not really exploding, but when I switched it on for the first time there was a flash, all the lights went out and eerrmmm it did not work. I disconnected the DC powersupply from the Control board and the Alps from the control board. When I plug in the dc powersupply I measure nothing on the output. But there is no flash either and the light stays on :-).
They are kits from Mikkel from Dantimax, I have emailed him as wel but sometimes it takes him ages to answer, and I would like to get on with the project. So any tips on what could have happened and how to proceed trouble shooting from here? Help as always highly appreciated!

Erik
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00895.jpg (468.1 KB, 211 views)
Old 20th January 2011, 04:17 PM   #2
Banned

Were the boards pre-assembled and tested ?

Did you connect the power supply correctly ?

Where did the flash appear to come from ?

I can see that you had it mounted on a wooden board so shorting it to a metal case is already negated.

For all the lights to go out it would appear that the problem is in the mains side of the project.

Last edited by Andy5112405; 20th January 2011 at 04:19 PM.
Old 20th January 2011, 04:30 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy5112405 View Post
Were the boards pre-assembled and tested ?
Nope

Quote:
Did you connect the power supply correctly ?
If you look at the picture, I connected the top output of the dc to the top input of the remote

Quote:
Where did the flash appear to come from ?
from one of the boards... pretty unsure cause I was a few meters away when I plugged in.

Quote:
I can see that you had it mounted on a wooden board so shorting it to a metal case is already negated.
True

Quote:
For all the lights to go out it would appear that the problem is in the mains side of the project.
So that would be in the power supply, wich would explain why it is not distributing any power at the moment...
Old 20th January 2011, 04:38 PM   #4
Banned

If the boards were not pre-assembled have you fitted all the components the right way round.

Are you sure that you connected the PSU correctly +ve to RED (generically) and -ve to BLACK (again generically).

Have you got correct PSU mains voltage?

Connecting a PSU that was intended for 110V operation would seriously blow most of the circuitry. A 110V PSU wouldn't last very long if plugged into 220V or 240V but would last long enough to cause the symptoms that you are describing.
Old 20th January 2011, 05:10 PM   #5
Banned

Might sound stupid, I do not intend to insult your intelligence. But on one occasion I saw a guy connect Mains supply to the input of a rectifier / regulator board.

It all went BANG

Last edited by Andy5112405; 20th January 2011 at 05:14 PM.
Old 20th January 2011, 05:29 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Might sound stupid, I do not intend to insult your intelligence. But on one occasion I saw a guy connect Mains supply to the input of a rectifier / regulator board.

It all went BANG
What is not there can't be insulted :-)

I have some ideas of what happened though, take a look at the pictures of the powersupply:

Will this have damaged my remote card?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00897.jpg (418.3 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00898.jpg (414.4 KB, 175 views)
Old 20th January 2011, 05:57 PM   #7
Banned

Do you have schematics of the boards.

The photos reveal nothing.

The damage shown could have been caused by either the PSU or the circuitry that it drives. Experience would suggest that you have done something wrong in the PSU but without more information this is pure speculation.

Last edited by Andy5112405; 20th January 2011 at 05:59 PM.
Old 20th January 2011, 06:07 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I wouldn't be too worried about the board, it has it's own diode-bridge and regulator, and it seems like you haven't plugged in the chip so far...
Old 20th January 2011, 06:17 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

OK, I have used an old power adapter from a computer which produces 7,5 volt, and adjusted the control board according to the manual to work with 7,5 volt. I connected it, and tested the board with a resistor and I actuall had a moving potmeter! Thank you, specially andy for you quick and helpful replies! Now to find a 5 or 7,5v dc power supply to replace the exploded one, but for now, testing can continue!
Old 20th January 2011, 06:52 PM   #10
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

This appears to be all backwards to me. Most remote controls are used to blow up other things - not the other way around.

It seems as if you are making progress tho. From the looks of that blown track I would suspect the something shorted to ground - it takes a lot of juice to blow a track like that. Might have been a washer or screw that was used to secure it via the hole in the corner of the PWB???

Hide this!Advertise here!