help! Exploding diy remote control volume board!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all

Well.. not really exploding, but when I switched it on for the first time there was a flash, all the lights went out and eerrmmm it did not work. I disconnected the DC powersupply from the Control board and the Alps from the control board. When I plug in the dc powersupply I measure nothing on the output. But there is no flash either and the light stays on :).
They are kits from Mikkel from Dantimax, I have emailed him as wel but sometimes it takes him ages to answer, and I would like to get on with the project. So any tips on what could have happened and how to proceed trouble shooting from here? Help as always highly appreciated!

Erik

Attachments

• DSC00895.jpg
    DSC00895.jpg
    468.1 KB · Views: 241
Were the boards pre-assembled and tested ?

Did you connect the power supply correctly ?

Where did the flash appear to come from ?

I can see that you had it mounted on a wooden board so shorting it to a metal case is already negated.

For all the lights to go out it would appear that the problem is in the mains side of the project.

Last edited:
Were the boards pre-assembled and tested ?
Nope

Did you connect the power supply correctly ?
If you look at the picture, I connected the top output of the dc to the top input of the remote

Where did the flash appear to come from ?
from one of the boards... pretty unsure cause I was a few meters away when I plugged in.

I can see that you had it mounted on a wooden board so shorting it to a metal case is already negated.
True

For all the lights to go out it would appear that the problem is in the mains side of the project.
So that would be in the power supply, wich would explain why it is not distributing any power at the moment...

If the boards were not pre-assembled have you fitted all the components the right way round.

Are you sure that you connected the PSU correctly +ve to RED (generically) and -ve to BLACK (again generically).

Have you got correct PSU mains voltage?

Connecting a PSU that was intended for 110V operation would seriously blow most of the circuitry. A 110V PSU wouldn't last very long if plugged into 220V or 240V but would last long enough to cause the symptoms that you are describing.

Might sound stupid, I do not intend to insult your intelligence. But on one occasion I saw a guy connect Mains supply to the input of a rectifier / regulator board.

It all went BANG

What is not there can't be insulted :)

I have some ideas of what happened though, take a look at the pictures of the powersupply:

Will this have damaged my remote card?

Attachments

• DSC00897.jpg
    DSC00897.jpg
    418.3 KB · Views: 233
  • DSC00898.jpg
    DSC00898.jpg
    414.4 KB · Views: 214
Do you have schematics of the boards.

The photos reveal nothing.

The damage shown could have been caused by either the PSU or the circuitry that it drives. Experience would suggest that you have done something wrong in the PSU but without more information this is pure speculation.

Last edited:
OK, I have used an old power adapter from a computer which produces 7,5 volt, and adjusted the control board according to the manual to work with 7,5 volt. I connected it, and tested the board with a resistor and I actuall had a moving potmeter! Thank you, specially andy for you quick and helpful replies! Now to find a 5 or 7,5v dc power supply to replace the exploded one, but for now, testing can continue!

Joined 2006
Paid Member
This appears to be all backwards to me. Most remote controls are used to blow up other things - not the other way around. :D:D

It seems as if you are making progress tho. From the looks of that blown track I would suspect the something shorted to ground - it takes a lot of juice to blow a track like that. Might have been a washer or screw that was used to secure it via the hole in the corner of the PWB???

Could it have been caused by the powerboard needing 115v whilst I fed it 230?

On the other hand, it does not really matter since it works now with my improvised powersupply.

The problem now is that while testing with a resistor between the holes of the ic mount I get the potmeter to move, but it does not seem to react on any of my philips remote controls, not even on the universal remote with various codes of philips devices...

I have attached the circuit and description... help would (again) be highly appriciated!

Attachments

• volume.jpg
    volume.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 118
Could it have been caused by the powerboard needing 115v whilst I fed it 230?

On the other hand, it does not really matter since it works now with my improvised powersupply.

The problem now is that while testing with a resistor between the holes of the ic mount I get the potmeter to move, but it does not seem to react on any of my philips remote controls, not even on the universal remote with various codes of philips devices...

I have attached the circuit and description... help would (again) be highly appriciated!

See Post #4. For a short duration you would have fed the board with 15V instead of the intended 7.5V. How long depends on how long it took for the stressed components to fail.

Your diagram doesn't show how the circuit received IR from the Remote Control. Any downstream regulators will probably have saved downstream circuitry.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.