rolling of bass before amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th January 2011, 11:28 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default rolling of bass before amp

I've decided after blowing up one of my Accuton C95's

Accuton v.s. Reference Recordings | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

that I'd like to be a little more "pro-active" about preventing my next visit from the broken eggshell fairy. My heavily modified dvd player has two outputs. One for the mains amp, and one for the subs. I haven't been using the both of them, instead running the subs using the high level inputs because of the "supposed" better integration it offers (thus spake Rel and Genesis) and fewer wires (the subs sit under the mains.) I'm using a 1.5 uf Mundorf as a coupling cap on the output of the dvd player. What I'd like to do is roll off the output to the main amp so that it's not running full range. (such a waste of a beast of an amp: Pass X250.5) I know it wouldn't take much to just run a smaller cap and roll it off earlier, but I don't think that would be steep enough.

Here's my question: Can I run a (very small) cap and coil (or even cap/coil/cap) like I would in a speaker crossover to get a steeper rolloff? And yes, I'm opposed to running an electronic crossover. More complexity (I'm running one interconnect and a pair of speaker cables) and not thrilled with running the signal through all that additional signal processing.

Thanks in advance for any tips you might have.

Cheers
Old 11th January 2011, 10:16 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Am I not posting this in the right forum?
Old 11th January 2011, 10:27 AM   #3
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Why not put the cap at the input of the amp? Smaller, cheaper, and better performance.

edit: OK, I see what you're asking a bit better. I suspect the single order rolloff would be sufficient. If you want a second order rolloff, the inductor will have to be pretty large- a gyrator would be perfect in that spot. Cost you an opamp and a few parts.
Old 11th January 2011, 07:06 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

See TLS.org | Passive Line-Level Crossover - you can make a 2nd order filter with CRCR. You can go higher order if you need at the potential expense of signal level. You'll probably need to adjust the subwoofer drive level.
Old 12th January 2011, 01:37 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks Bob! This looks like exactly what I need!

Now I need to brush up on my math. (And to think it was my best subject - besides music - in school.)

Hide this!Advertise here!