rolling of bass before amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've decided after blowing up one of my Accuton C95's :bawling:

Accuton v.s. Reference Recordings | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

that I'd like to be a little more "pro-active" about preventing my next visit from the broken eggshell fairy. My heavily modified dvd player has two outputs. One for the mains amp, and one for the subs. I haven't been using the both of them, instead running the subs using the high level inputs because of the "supposed" better integration it offers (thus spake Rel and Genesis) and fewer wires (the subs sit under the mains.) I'm using a 1.5 uf Mundorf as a coupling cap on the output of the dvd player. What I'd like to do is roll off the output to the main amp so that it's not running full range. (such a waste of a beast of an amp: Pass X250.5) I know it wouldn't take much to just run a smaller cap and roll it off earlier, but I don't think that would be steep enough.

Here's my question: Can I run a (very small) cap and coil (or even cap/coil/cap) like I would in a speaker crossover to get a steeper rolloff? And yes, I'm opposed to running an electronic crossover. More complexity (I'm running one interconnect and a pair of speaker cables) and not thrilled with running the signal through all that additional signal processing.

Thanks in advance for any tips you might have.

Cheers

Why not put the cap at the input of the amp? Smaller, cheaper, and better performance.

edit: OK, I see what you're asking a bit better. I suspect the single order rolloff would be sufficient. If you want a second order rolloff, the inductor will have to be pretty large- a gyrator would be perfect in that spot. Cost you an opamp and a few parts.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.