Balanced LDR preamp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st December 2010, 11:32 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Smile Balanced LDR preamp

Hi,
I have enjoyed my Lighter note ldr preamp very much and have set off to make a balanced one now. Many thanks to George for sharing his great design. I wish others would be so kind as to help us that are not so talented. Thanks to Uriah for making the lighter note and the matched ldrs readily available. I hope this thread can be about balanced ldr preamps and not about how ldrs dont work. I love the single ended lighter note I made months ago. It is the most natural sound I have heard my system make yet. I use a shigaclone into a TPA BuffaloII with tridents. I also have a balanced Retro phono preamp in the works. So 2 balanced inputs and at least 2 se inputs needed. I bought a MV-6 wireless remote kit from diyclub. It has a 6 gang 100k pot and 5 input selection on the remote. I have the kit functional and want to install the ldrs now. After reading almost all I can posted(yes, all 380 pages) it looks like I will use 4 gangs of the pot to avoid burning the wiper. I guess it will be like 2 lightspeeds, one for plus and one for minus. There have been several others with this idea of a balanced ldr so please let me know what you have tried or thoughts about this. Thanks to all the many other posters that have gone out of their way to help the electricaly challenged. DIY is the best!
Old 1st January 2011, 01:08 PM   #2
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Why do you need/want balanced volume control?

To get better interference rejection?
or
to allow existing balanced equipment to be used?
or
because the symmetry looks right?

If you need the benefit of interference rejection then you must convert your balanced signals to unbalanced, feed the LED/LDR, then convert unbalanced to balanced to feed the remainder of the balanced system.

If either of the other two options apply then simply run two channels to give hot and cold control.

Hide this!Advertise here!