Douglas Self's Active Crossovers book

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Another edition ?

I see Amazon mention a newer version of " The design of active crossovers" but not yet released. Higher priced at about $90 !
Whats new in this book that makes it so much more expensive than the older book ? Is this the price of the hard bound version or the paper back version ?

The new Second Edition is a considerable expansion. It should be on the streets by about April 2018.

This is what I've written to go on the back cover of the new Second Edition:

The new material includes

● A much, much, broader palette of ready-made filter designs for crossover construction, including single-stage 4th-order Linkwitz-Riley filters, which make it possible to build a 2-way 4th-order active crossover with one dual opamp. (that’s just one stereo channel, obviously) Other additions are many new ways to make 4th and 5th-order filters, new 5th and 6th-order highpass filters, and more advanced filters such as the Tow-Thomas biquad, which allow greater precision in defining the response.

● More on notch filters, especially full design details and procedures for the extremely flexible and useful Bainter notch filter.

● Economical ways of making high-order bandwidth-definition filters.

● A big new chapter on distortion and noise in active filters, covering Sallen & Key, multiple-feedback, and Tow-Thomas filters.

● More on equalisation circuitry, including filter slopes of -3 dB and -4.5 dB/octave.

● More on different loudspeaker types and their specific crossover requirements. New stuff on speaker non-linearity and Doppler distortion, and sound absorption in air.

● A new section on MTM (d’Appolito) Tweeter-Mid configurations

● A full explanation of vertical line arrays of loudspeakers, including J-arrays and amplitude and frequency tapering.

● A whole new chapter on motional feedback loudspeakers and interfacing them with active crossovers.

● Instrumentation amplifiers as low-noise balanced inputs. They have long been praised for having superb common-mode rejection, but this has been hard to exploit in audio applications. I demonstrate how to do it, and get lower noise at the same time. Also, what I modestly call the Self variable-gain balanced input, which gives excellent channel balance on stereo inputs without using expensive parts.

● Much more on the ingenious but little-known technology of ground-cancelling outputs, showing how they can give a noise advantage over conventional balanced interconnections. Cunning ways of substantially reducing line output transformer distortion at near-zero cost are described.

● New material on achieving awkward resistor and capacitor values.

Last edited:

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Amazon US:

Paperback: 672 pages
ISBN-10: 1138733032
Shipping Weight: 1.1 pounds
$90

Hardcover: 672 pages
ISBN-10: 1138733024
Shipping Weight: 1.7 pounds
$190

Late April (you can pre-order now).

eBook not listed yet, but unless Doug objects, Amazon is sure to want to eBook it.

Attachments

• Self-TDOAC.gif
    Self-TDOAC.gif
    24.3 KB · Views: 507
wrt the sections on Instrumentation amps and Ground Cancelling outputs: Do the sections go beyonfd the sections in the "Small Signal" book ? ( I have that ).
Cheers.

Instrumentation amplifiers as low-noise balanced inputs. They have long been praised for having superb common-mode rejection, but this has been hard to exploit in audio applications. I demonstrate how to do it, and get lower noise at the same time. Also, what I modestly call the Self variable-gain balanced input, which gives excellent channel balance on stereo inputs without using expensive parts.

● Much more on the ingenious but little-known technology of ground-cancelling outputs, showing how they can give a noise advantage over conventional balanced interconnections. Cunning ways of substantially reducing line output transformer distortion at near-zero cost are described.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.