Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Douglas Self's Active Crossovers book
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th December 2017, 08:08 PM   #11
DouglasSelf is offline DouglasSelf  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The new Second Edition is a considerable expansion. It should be on the streets by about April 2018.

This is what I've written to go on the back cover of the new Second Edition:

The new material includes

● A much, much, broader palette of ready-made filter designs for crossover construction, including single-stage 4th-order Linkwitz-Riley filters, which make it possible to build a 2-way 4th-order active crossover with one dual opamp. (that’s just one stereo channel, obviously) Other additions are many new ways to make 4th and 5th-order filters, new 5th and 6th-order highpass filters, and more advanced filters such as the Tow-Thomas biquad, which allow greater precision in defining the response.

● More on notch filters, especially full design details and procedures for the extremely flexible and useful Bainter notch filter.

● Economical ways of making high-order bandwidth-definition filters.

● A big new chapter on distortion and noise in active filters, covering Sallen & Key, multiple-feedback, and Tow-Thomas filters.

● More on equalisation circuitry, including filter slopes of -3 dB and -4.5 dB/octave.

● More on different loudspeaker types and their specific crossover requirements. New stuff on speaker non-linearity and Doppler distortion, and sound absorption in air.

● A new section on MTM (d’Appolito) Tweeter-Mid configurations

● A full explanation of vertical line arrays of loudspeakers, including J-arrays and amplitude and frequency tapering.

● A whole new chapter on motional feedback loudspeakers and interfacing them with active crossovers.

● Instrumentation amplifiers as low-noise balanced inputs. They have long been praised for having superb common-mode rejection, but this has been hard to exploit in audio applications. I demonstrate how to do it, and get lower noise at the same time. Also, what I modestly call the Self variable-gain balanced input, which gives excellent channel balance on stereo inputs without using expensive parts.

● Much more on the ingenious but little-known technology of ground-cancelling outputs, showing how they can give a noise advantage over conventional balanced interconnections. Cunning ways of substantially reducing line output transformer distortion at near-zero cost are described.

● New material on achieving awkward resistor and capacitor values.

Last edited by DouglasSelf; 28th December 2017 at 08:20 PM.
Old 29th December 2017, 07:09 AM   #12
ashok is offline ashok
diyAudio Member

Looks interesting. I'll book a copy ! I hope it's a paperback . Don't like to pay extra for hard bound copies.
Old 29th December 2017, 02:03 PM   #13
DouglasSelf is offline DouglasSelf  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashok View Post
Looks interesting. I'll book a copy ! I hope it's a paperback . Don't like to pay extra for hard bound copies.
I believe it will be available in paperback, hard back, and electronic formats.
Old 30th December 2017, 12:32 AM   #14
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

Amazon US:

Paperback: 672 pages
ISBN-10: 1138733032
Shipping Weight: 1.1 pounds
$90

Hardcover: 672 pages
ISBN-10: 1138733024
Shipping Weight: 1.7 pounds
$190

Late April (you can pre-order now).

eBook not listed yet, but unless Doug objects, Amazon is sure to want to eBook it.
Attached Images
File Type: gif Self-TDOAC.gif (24.3 KB, 39 views)

Douglas Self's Active Crossovers bookHide this!Advertise here!