Using a Precision Current Source to drive an LDR attenuator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone actually tried using a current source based on digital potentiometer to drive a LDR attenuator? I've seen it mentioned in the massive Lightspeed thread but has anyone actually tried it?
It would be good for folks who want an LDR based attenuator with digital control (for remote control, displays, integration etc).
Is this how the DIY Paradise Eva works?

Anyway, I was looking at this app note from Maxim which shows pretty much the generic current source based on a digital potentiometer and a shunt:
Precision Current Source is Software-Programmable - Maxim

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I want to try it but use a regulated PSU instead of the shunt IC. By using their forumula Rsense should be 200R when using a 5V supply, but I'm not sure what to use for Rs? Can anyone explain what this resistor is for? I'm thinking its to limit the amount of current going through the digital potentiometer wiper as they can generally only handle 1mA...

I'm thinking something like this. Any pointers?

Attachments

• 3464Fig01.gif
    3464Fig01.gif
    59.9 KB · Views: 272
Almost the same concept but less complicate and does not use as many i.c.s. :)

Has anyone actually tried using a current source based on digital potentiometer to drive a LDR attenuator? I've seen it mentioned in the massive Lightspeed thread but has anyone actually tried it?
It would be good for folks who want an LDR based attenuator with digital control (for remote control, displays, integration etc).
Is this how the DIY Paradise Eva works?

Anyway, I was looking at this app note from Maxim which shows pretty much the generic current source based on a digital potentiometer and a shunt:
Precision Current Source is Software-Programmable - Maxim

3464Fig01.gif

I want to try it but use a regulated PSU instead of the shunt IC. By using their forumula Rsense should be 200R when using a 5V supply, but I'm not sure what to use for Rs? Can anyone explain what this resistor is for? I'm thinking its to limit the amount of current going through the digital potentiometer wiper as they can generally only handle 1mA...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.