Preamp booster ? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd November 2010, 03:32 PM   #11
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Yes, what Andrew says.

The headphone amp "may" give you enough clean output voltage, or it may not. Current won't be a problem here. Find a headphone amp you like and we can take a look at it.
Old 3rd November 2010, 05:06 PM   #12
RobertE is offline RobertE  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panomaniac View Post
Yes, what Andrew says.

The headphone amp "may" give you enough clean output voltage, or it may not. Current won't be a problem here. Find a headphone amp you like and we can take a look at it.
I tried using the tda2822 but the 20x gain is way more than I need. I think I only need about 2-3x. Because my source is basically line level when going into headphone amp, I need to attenuate it too much. I think the problem is that it is single supply running on 5v so I am bumping into the rails/limits. So I either need to use dual supply, or the 12v I have avail - but my 12v is not regulated and it may go as high as 15v.
Old 3rd November 2010, 06:50 PM   #13
Leon08 is offline Leon08  Germany
Banned

That's no problem.You don't need tda2822 for this.You need a simple opamp like ne5532 or similar.Then you connect it to run with single supply and calculate wich gain you need.The are many info on this subject in web.
Old 12th November 2010, 03:22 AM   #14
RobertE is offline RobertE  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon08 View Post
That's no problem.You don't need tda2822 for this.You need a simple opamp like ne5532 or similar.Then you connect it to run with single supply and calculate wich gain you need.The are many info on this subject in web.
I ended up adding an ic to generate -5v for the op amp. I tried using the 12v from the car directly in a halve bias mode but it caused alternator whine. Problem was the neg voltage ic I bought worked at 8kz so more whine. I have a substitute on order. We'll see what happens...

Hide this!Advertise here!