Calculating gain of loudness control

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

As the title says i need to calculate the gain of my loudness circuit that im about to build. (circuit diag attached)

It’s borrowed from a JVC amp schematic and the specs say it gives a gain of +6dB at 100Hz and +4dB at 10kHz.

I need to change the circuit, so it’ll give say +10dB at 100/10k. How would change the resistors/caps (22k and 0.033u) to do this.

And what if I wanted to change the frequencies, say get +10dB at 60Hz instead of 100Hz.

Much appreciate some help on this. Thanks.

Attachments

• loudness.bmp
    153.9 KB · Views: 131
Attachment...

Attachments

• loudness[1].JPG
    loudness[1].JPG
    13.5 KB · Views: 177
Hi, the 4 terminal device is a volume pot (used to control the volume of a amp).

It is from a amp schematic, IN is the input from source preamp (tape/tuner/phone) and OUT is output to amp (as in power amplifier used to amplify music).Thanks

Last edited:
What is the 4-terminal device in the diagram that looks like a pot? What schematic does this little section come from?

If it's a pot then the circuit has no gain...

w

It's a pot - a log pot with a "loudness" tap. Almost every amplifier with a "loudness" switch has such a pot.

The section is from the schematic of a JVC amp. :)

The gains talked about are relative to the gain (loss) of the circuit at 1 KHz.

The 180 pf capacitor provides HF boost.
The 1M ohm resistor sets the amount of HF boost.
The 0.0033 microfarad capacitor provides HF cut (LF boost).
The 22K ohm resistor sets the amount of HF cut (LF boost).

All of the components interact, so changing any one will alter the response over the whole range. You will need to find the resistance values of the two sections of the pot each side of the tap. Once you have that, you can work out the response using Ohm's law. Or you can build the circuit in a simulator such as SPICE and measure the results of component changes.

Thank you for the quick responses..

I take it that there is some misunderstanding, the schematic claims the loudness circuit produces the specified gain values (6db at 100Hz and 10khz at 10kHz).

Apologies if this post is in the wrong category but the loudness filter is something that provides attenuation at a particular band of frequencies in the audible range so that some frequencies (i.e.:100Hz and 10khz in this case) appear to be amplified more than others. I was just wondering if someone knew how the resistor/caps values affected this so that i could change the values to get the desired gains/attenuation. Many thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.