ARC LS25 mkII noise level - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2010, 08:15 AM   #11
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member
 
Zen Mod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: ancient Batsch , behind Iron Curtain
looking at schematic - there is no need for pins 1 & 3 tying on LS25 side

anyway - I still think that active stage is redundant , having 1V sensitivity of power amp ;

regarding full compatibility-do not over-estimate their knowledge over their greed .

feed that amp from any source which have variable output and that will be music , comparing to LS25 usage in that situation .

then you can sell preamp and buy something "passive " with buffer
__________________
my Papa is smarter than your Nelson !
clean thread; Cook Book;PSM LS Cook Book;Baby DiyA ;Mighty ZM's Bloggg;Papatreasure;Papa... by Mighty ZM
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 04:08 PM   #12
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_sa View Post
Don't hold your breath. The tubes are only used as followers and their contribution to noise is minimal. I have once owned this unit and have no memories of excessive noise but maybe my noise requirements are not so demanding. Otoh, do not judge the sound of high quality tube preamps by the LS25 or any other ARC unit for that matter. Despite what a lot of audiophiles on agon say, they all suck sonically. No opinion about their power amps.
What in your opinion would be a great tube preamp? BAT? ARC has such a good reputation, I thought I'd give it a try. Of course, popularity hardly ever translates to quality so I am just beginning this tube audio journey.

The good thing about popularity is I can sell the LS25 for no loss in equity.
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 04:14 PM   #13
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Mod View Post
looking at schematic - there is no need for pins 1 & 3 tying on LS25 side

anyway - I still think that active stage is redundant , having 1V sensitivity of power amp ;

regarding full compatibility-do not over-estimate their knowledge over their greed .

feed that amp from any source which have variable output and that will be music , comparing to LS25 usage in that situation .

then you can sell preamp and buy something "passive " with buffer
I will try your advice. I'll see if the music is better this way.
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 05:10 PM   #14
diyAudio Member
 
analog_sa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Sofia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneJazz View Post
The good thing about popularity is I can sell the LS25 for no loss in equity.


That is also the reason i sometimes buy used commercial high end equipment -it tends to preserve value ahead of inflation. And i get to sulk at it

As for recommendation for other brands, not much help i'm afraid. All the commercial preamps i have owned have been really poor in some respect. For some reason i find it much easier to come to terms with factory made power amps rather than preamps.

It is always useful to keep a good passive attenuator around. These usually work well with tube power amps and even if they show some deficiencies of their own, in comparison to most active preamps they can really shine. My definition of a good pre is thus simple: the transparency of a Shallco attenuator switch but with much better bass and dynamics. Gain, as Zenmod says is entirely optional.
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 05:56 PM   #15
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_sa View Post
That is also the reason i sometimes buy used commercial high end equipment -it tends to preserve value ahead of inflation. And i get to sulk at it

As for recommendation for other brands, not much help i'm afraid. All the commercial preamps i have owned have been really poor in some respect. For some reason i find it much easier to come to terms with factory made power amps rather than preamps.

It is always useful to keep a good passive attenuator around. These usually work well with tube power amps and even if they show some deficiencies of their own, in comparison to most active preamps they can really shine. My definition of a good pre is thus simple: the transparency of a Shallco attenuator switch but with much better bass and dynamics. Gain, as Zenmod says is entirely optional.
I see your standards are much higher than mine! I am actually quite happy with the sonic quality of the preamp. Just want to get the noise out. I don't think this is normal for this amp and there must be some reason electrically or otherwise.

It may just be some bad power filter caps in the preamp. The sound of this preamp is more to my liking than the Arcam solid state pre.
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 06:03 PM   #16
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member
 
Zen Mod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: ancient Batsch , behind Iron Curtain
have you any source with adjustable output ?

CD player , for instance
__________________
my Papa is smarter than your Nelson !
clean thread; Cook Book;PSM LS Cook Book;Baby DiyA ;Mighty ZM's Bloggg;Papatreasure;Papa... by Mighty ZM
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2010, 12:07 AM   #17
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Mod View Post
have you any source with adjustable output ?

CD player , for instance
Yes, I do. I'll try it direct. The thing is the preamp is convenient in that I can plug all my different sources into it. Also, it has a recording loop as I do a lot of analog tape recording.
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2010, 12:12 AM   #18
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member
 
Zen Mod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: ancient Batsch , behind Iron Curtain
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneJazz View Post
Yes, I do. I'll try it direct. .........
I hope that meaning of "direct" isn't " without volume control "


Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneJazz View Post
...... The thing is the preamp is convenient in that I can plug all my different sources into it. Also, it has a recording loop as I do a lot of analog tape recording.
certainly ; but - I meant that you try that for test , then decide have you enough gain/grunt/music without active preamp
__________________
my Papa is smarter than your Nelson !
clean thread; Cook Book;PSM LS Cook Book;Baby DiyA ;Mighty ZM's Bloggg;Papatreasure;Papa... by Mighty ZM
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2010, 01:56 AM   #19
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Mod View Post
I hope that meaning of "direct" isn't " without volume control "




certainly ; but - I meant that you try that for test , then decide have you enough gain/grunt/music without active preamp
of course. I'll use my source with an output control.

There is a company called Serious Stereo that makes passive preamps. I might try that if I have to send the LS25 for service. I think it is noisier than it should be. I'll talk with ARC this coming week about it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2010, 05:14 AM   #20
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NYC
I checked it out with my Nakamichi Dragon as a source. It has more than enough volume. I think it sounds just as good with no noise from the preamp. However, I heard from a LS25 owner who states he has no noise from it standing in front of his speakers. So I'll have to get to the bottom of that.

There are some attractive passive preamps but none really have the input capabilities I would need. I need at least 6 inputs with the ability to monitor my recordings.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ARC LS25 mkII tube change GeneJazz Analog Line Level 6 18th October 2010 04:09 PM
Squeaky Noise in ARC Dual 75 neddyboy Tubes / Valves 11 6th June 2007 04:58 PM
Noise level swaroopvg Chip Amps 0 11th July 2006 08:24 AM
Help! - Akai GX-95 MkII, Bias, Recording level zstoja Analogue Source 0 25th June 2006 07:49 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 10:47 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2