Do all OPA2134PA's sound the same? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th November 2010, 11:42 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

It's very likely that the OPA2134 has been "blessed" with several die shrinks for cost and yield improvement during its lifetime. When the analog IC houses were in their prime, and I was working for a major customer (Harris) I remember receiving notices of pending die shrinks, which detailed changes in non-data-sheet parameters, or shifts in typical values; min-max of course were almost never changed, and then only for the better.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 10th November 2010 at 11:47 PM.
Old 3rd July 2011, 09:11 AM   #12
karmik is offline karmik  Italy
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to karmik Send a message via AIM to karmik Send a message via MSN to karmik Send a message via Yahoo to karmik
I came to this thread through a google search for "opa2134 counterfeit". I bought 5 2134s from ebay to build a Rod Elliott's P88 on breadboard (i fully intend to buy it as soon as i can afford it). I rebuilt the first stage twice already (no second stage yet, until i can fix the first), the last iteration seems to *work*, meaning it does amplify signal (140mv input, higher output), but the sound is AWFUL!

It sounds like a mistuned FM radio, completely distorted if i raise the volume even a little on the source and whenever there is a voice in the signal it's all "robotic". I'm gonna rebuild it a third time but i don't see how it can do its job if i mis-wired something but do it so badly.

The other components are
  • MKT caps rated for 100V (signal)
  • MKT caps rated for 63v (bypass on the opamp power pins).
  • 1% Resistors, from china as well (standard values for 3db gain)

Also, the opa2134s lack the "dent" between pin 1 and 8 that i saw on every other DIP package i've ever seen (not many, but still dozens of them).

I'm starting to think i ran into a counterfeit batch. This could very well be just a bad case of mis-wiring on my part (i'm very very very much of a newbie) but the weird distortion i'm getting is so fishy!

Anyone has info about this?
Old 3rd July 2011, 09:53 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

you sure you got the pots right?
Old 3rd July 2011, 09:57 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to karmik Send a message via AIM to karmik Send a message via MSN to karmik Send a message via Yahoo to karmik
No pot wired by me, the volume i mentioned raising either is the one from the software mixer inside Windows 7 (outputting to either a USB Dac from Xitel based on PCM2704 or a Realtek integrated soundcard, i tried both) or of a pair of active pc speakers (outputting through the headphones out).
Old 3rd July 2011, 10:52 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Your description sounds worse than what you'd get from a lowly 741 chip. Closely check your work; if it's not that than those OPA2134s aren't counterfeit... they are dud rejects!
Old 3rd July 2011, 11:07 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

I've made a P88 before and it worked fine, nothing spectacular, but functional.
Old 3rd July 2011, 11:40 AM   #17
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmik View Post
I bought 5 2134s from ebay to build a Rod Elliott's P88 on breadboard ...................

It sounds like a mistuned FM radio, completely distorted if i raise the volume even a little on the source and whenever there is a voice in the signal it's all "robotic". I'm gonna rebuild it a third time but i don't see how it can do its job if i mis-wired something but do it so badly.

Anyone has info about this?
You mention a "breadboard layout" and that could (and without seeing its impossible to say) be the problem.

Maybe post a picture of your project
Old 3rd July 2011, 05:27 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

I will rebuild it as i don't trust my skills. I have a Szekeres headphone amp made on breadboard a couple years back and it sounds quite fine so i don't think that's the problem

I want to say that i never said the project itself sounds bad. I'm willing to bet my pajamas that it will sound great once i get it right. I was complaining about my board, which is very likely badly soldered and/or has a counterfeit active element.

I will post a pic as soon as i make a third revision, i want to be extra-sure that i didn't get something wrong in this revision. Give me two or three days thanks for your help and sorry for hijacking the thread! :P

Hide this!Advertise here!