My Preamp Project: Arduino, I2C, relay selector+attenuator, tube stage - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th April 2011, 01:39 PM   #31
rade95 is offline rade95  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxw View Post
Here are the eagle files. I also have some spare PCBs/Parts if you wish.
I would like to order a pair of PCBs please.
Old 3rd May 2011, 12:36 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

I know you can read the value of a pot using the arduino analogINput...but can it be done while there is a signal being fed through it?
b
Old 3rd May 2011, 07:18 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

No. You'll need 4-gang pot for stereo.
Or you can just leave out the display thing and live with just two buttons spinning the volume up and down...
Old 7th December 2011, 10:21 AM   #34
ialpha is offline ialpha  Australia
diyAudio Member

I notice your relays have no protection diodes, Are these needed? also On your schematic you have 5v connected to to of the ic2 pins through resistors , what are these for and what value should they be.

Thanks
Old 7th December 2011, 11:19 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

YES! More arduinio's in audio!

I am using a ChipKit Uno32 for my DAC project. The Uno32 has an 80mhz PIC processor running arduino on board! and 42 pins of I/O and ONLY $26!!!

For my DAC the Uno32(arduino) is controlling the power up functions with time delay and mute/unmute controls. input source selection and It counts word clock pulses and then likes one of six LED's according to sampling frequency in real time. So if you are playing a 44.1khz CD that LED lights. if you switch to 192khz hi rez files, the 192 LED lights!

next I will be learning some Sony remote control IR codes for remote control implementation.

Arduinos are perfect for pre-amp control etc!

I know linuxworx here and AMB has done a LOT with arduinos and Atmega Processors and has some excellent pictures and info!

Zc
Old 7th December 2011, 10:05 PM   #36
maxw is offline maxw  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ialpha View Post
I notice your relays have no protection diodes, Are these needed? also On your schematic you have 5v connected to to of the ic2 pins through resistors , what are these for and what value should they be.
I didn't bother with them and it seems work fine.

Those resistors are the I2C pull up resistors. Mine are 4.7K but they can be any value from around 1k to 47k. Google it, plenty of articles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Cool View Post
YES! More arduinio's in audio!

I am using a ChipKit Uno32 for my DAC project. The Uno32 has an 80mhz PIC processor running arduino on board! and 42 pins of I/O and ONLY $26!!!

For my DAC the Uno32(arduino) is controlling the power up functions with time delay and mute/unmute controls. input source selection and It counts word clock pulses and then likes one of six LED's according to sampling frequency in real time. So if you are playing a 44.1khz CD that LED lights. if you switch to 192khz hi rez files, the 192 LED lights!

next I will be learning some Sony remote control IR codes for remote control implementation.

Arduinos are perfect for pre-amp control etc!

I know linuxworx here and AMB has done a LOT with arduinos and Atmega Processors and has some excellent pictures and info!

Zc
Nice. Post some pics!

I made a new case, I'll post some new pics soon.
Old 20th December 2011, 08:47 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Here is my new case. I've opted for a completely passive input selector and attenuator for now. Both controlled by the arduino. Pics don't show the PSU but its just a small toroid and 5V regulator
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1060590.JPG (224.0 KB, 637 views)
File Type: jpg P1060591.JPG (251.5 KB, 622 views)
File Type: jpg P1060592.JPG (195.4 KB, 605 views)
File Type: jpg P1060594.JPG (241.6 KB, 605 views)
File Type: jpg P1060600.JPG (200.7 KB, 597 views)
Old 21st December 2011, 12:50 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Great work, Max!
I like the plexy and arduino mounting ideas!
Old 21st December 2011, 01:36 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Beautiful!

But how do you know what setting you are at, in terms of both input and volume level? You would probably need a lcd display for that.

Also, a bit off topic: What camera are using? I ask because the noise shape reminds me a lot of the SIGMA slr, and no other digital camera that I know of can render this film look.
Old 21st December 2011, 02:16 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShaman View Post
Great work, Max!
I like the plexy and arduino mounting ideas!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaféNoir View Post
Beautiful!
Thanks!

Quote:
But how do you know what setting you are at, in terms of both input and volume level? You would probably need a lcd display for that.
Well I did a lot of thinking about this and basically I think standard LCDs look tacky and cheap. I wanted something minimal that looks nice. I also figured that I don't really need to know what input I have selected if I can easily cycle through them in a loop until I hear what I want.

What I have done is set up a BlinkM that changes colour with the volume level. This is behind the volume knob, inside the case. It is an I2C controlled RGB LED. So it goes from Blue>White>Red as the volume gets higher. It's a really nice effect and I think works well. The encoder is also a push button momentary switch that changes the input.

Quote:
Also, a bit off topic: What camera are using? I ask because the noise shape reminds me a lot of the SIGMA slr, and no other digital camera that I know of can render this film look.
It's a Panasonic GF1 with 20mm pancake lens. Old but still my favourite camera!

Hide this!Advertise here!