My Preamp Project: Arduino, I2C, relay selector+attenuator, tube stage - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th September 2010, 05:14 PM   #11
maxw is offline maxw  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
watching with interest. so has both attenuator and selector yes? or this is separate functionality from same board? will you have PCBs? I do not need tube stage, only balanced selector and attenuator, with buffer (I will just use IC or discrete diamond buffer)
A separate board for the attenuator and input selector. Tube stage and control is all separate. I wanted it to be modular so I could change parts later. You could use arduino or PIC or anything that does I2c to control the attenuator and input selector

I already have PCBs! Got quite a few spare (like 8 or so) due to not being able to order low quantities of 1 or 2 from PCB fabricators.
Old 15th September 2010, 05:16 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Well I've sorted this regarding the software:
- Rotary Encoder for volume
- Button to change Input
- LCD display of Volume and Input
It was much easier than I thought it would be, only took a couple of hours
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6246.JPG (91.4 KB, 1589 views)
Old 28th December 2010, 06:22 AM   #13
ialpha is offline ialpha  Australia
diyAudio Member

Any chance you could release the code here?

Thanks
Old 28th December 2010, 07:39 AM   #14
Bonsai is offline Bonsai  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Very nice maxw. I have used a PGA2320 and am very happy with the results. I am using an mbed controller (Rapid Prototyping for Microcontrollers | mbed) to do the control. See my website for some shots and a write-up.

Good luck with your project. Looks very interesting.
Old 28th December 2010, 12:12 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxw View Post
Not sure about the tube stage yet but Iím thinking a Low Voltage Aikido

Call me old fashioned but i thought a preamp design begins with the actual preamp circuit/ power supply and generally stuff which relates in some way to the sound and not with the cosmetics. Else it may become a micro project with some analogue functionality
Old 3rd January 2011, 04:30 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ialpha View Post
Any chance you could release the code here?

Thanks
Sure, here is the basic code using a rotary encoder to control the volume and a button to switch sources. I'll share the rest of the code when its finished.
Attached Images
File Type: png att_sel_encoder.png (60.9 KB, 1378 views)
Attached Files
File Type: txt att_sel_encoder.txt (4.6 KB, 365 views)
Old 3rd January 2011, 04:33 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai View Post
Very nice maxw. I have used a PGA2320 and am very happy with the results. I am using an mbed controller (Rapid Prototyping for Microcontrollers | mbed) to do the control. See my website for some shots and a write-up.

Good luck with your project. Looks very interesting.
Thanks Bonsai, I've seen your X-Altra Mini One and really like the design
Old 3rd January 2011, 04:37 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_sa View Post
Call me old fashioned but i thought a preamp design begins with the actual preamp circuit/ power supply and generally stuff which relates in some way to the sound and not with the cosmetics. Else it may become a micro project with some analogue functionality
You are old fashioned

With my current plan I could use the Aikido, a B1, an opamp etc or completely passive and still have remote/input control/attenuation. Basically I want to be able to change it at will but still have these comforts.
Old 14th February 2011, 03:06 AM   #19
ialpha is offline ialpha  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxw View Post
Sure, here is the basic code using a rotary encoder to control the volume and a button to switch sources. I'll share the rest of the code when its finished.
Thanks Max this is very cool, I have been playing around with an arduino mega and thanks to linux-works I have got it controlling a pga2310 with the help of this post on the arduino website. So far all I have managed to do is get the pga2310 to run in a loop increasing the volume up and down. I would like to use a pga2310 based attenuator in place of your relay volume control. I will build a relay based attenuator eventually, right now I am on low budget and was given a heap of free pha2310's from a work mate. How would I go about converting your marvelous code to do this?
Old 14th February 2011, 08:14 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ialpha View Post
Thanks Max this is very cool, I have been playing around with an arduino mega and thanks to linux-works I have got it controlling a pga2310 with the help of this post on the arduino website. So far all I have managed to do is get the pga2310 to run in a loop increasing the volume up and down. I would like to use a pga2310 based attenuator in place of your relay volume control. I will build a relay based attenuator eventually, right now I am on low budget and was given a heap of free pha2310's from a work mate. How would I go about converting your marvelous code to do this?
Have you tried combing my relay attenuator code above using an encoder and the code I posted in the arduino forum? This should get you going with an encoder controlling a PGA.

Hide this!Advertise here!