Buffer pre-amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been using passive pre-amp in my listening environment. Since the volume pot is 50 kA, it can cause undesirable high-freq roll off for my 498xx based power amp (input 33k//470p). I finally made a unity gain pre-amp (buffer). It is just a quick project where an old spare PCB is used to populate the opamp circuit. The board was designed for signal conditioning with Linear active filter chips. The 50 kA pot is followed by two OPA134 as unit-gain buffers. Additional output RCA sockets are added for driving bi-amp. Regulated +/- 15 V supply is from a separate supply chassis. LM317/337 and some caps form the simple supply. Everything just work great! No noise (hiss and hum) can be heard from the speaker with the pre-amp input grounded.

I will modify it slightly for some gain no greater than 10. I think this is very sufficient for today digital sources.

Attachments

• IMGP3248.JPG
    IMGP3248.JPG
    193.2 KB · Views: 1,267
  • IMGP3247.JPG
    IMGP3247.JPG
    192.6 KB · Views: 1,214
I have been using passive pre-amp in my listening environment. Since the volume pot is 50 kA, it can cause undesirable high-freq roll off for my 498xx based power amp (input 33k//470p). I finally made a unity gain pre-amp (buffer). It is just a quick project where an old spare PCB is used to populate the opamp circuit. The board was designed for signal conditioning with Linear active filter chips. The 50 kA pot is followed by two OPA134 as unit-gain buffers. Additional output RCA sockets are added for driving bi-amp. Regulated +/- 15 V supply is from a separate supply chassis. LM317/337 and some caps form the simple supply. Everything just work great! No noise (hiss and hum) can be heard from the speaker with the pre-amp input grounded.

I will modify it slightly for some gain no greater than 10. I think this is very sufficient for today digital sources.

First of all I would like to congratulate you on a job well done. I especially like the way you isolated the power supply in its own chassis. If you ever get tired of an opamp based unity gain buffer, please look into Salas direct coupled Class A buffer with shunt regulation right here. It is inspired by Nelson Pass' B1 and therefore only uses Jfets. I am building a differential/balanced version of that design.

Kind regards,
Anand.

Thank you Anand!

My buffer pre-amp shown in thread #1 is borrowed to a friend for listening evaluation. I use the TI opamp universal test board (fixture) to build another pre-amp. LME49720 is soldered to the board as the first test unit. The chip is still configured as a voltage-follower. A cancellation resistor is inserted between output and -IN. A 50 kA volume pot is followed by the opamp. Hence, the source resistance of the opamp is not a fixed value. A fixed cancellation resistor won't offer maximum cancellation for different pot positions.

Let see the THD vs freq for cancellation resistor equal to 1 k. The output level was kept at 3 Vrms in order to maintain signal to noise ratio. Output load is the AP input 100 k resistance. The curve for Rs = 0 is essentially the AP's THD vs freq.

Other plot is for cancellation resistor equal to 16 k. We can see that this is over kill! The distortion is worst for Rs = 0. Maximum (lowest distortion) cancellation occurs at Rs = 16.8 k. Well, Rs is nearly identical to the cancellation resistance.

Based on the plots, a 1 k cancellation resistor offers better performance. Taking listening level into account, 16 k is probably the choice. I will try 10 k next.

Attachments

• LME49720 THD vs freq vs Rs 1.JPG
    LME49720 THD vs freq vs Rs 1.JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 1,029
  • LME49720 THD vs freq vs Rs 2.JPG
    LME49720 THD vs freq vs Rs 2.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 927
Last edited:
The plot is for a cancellation resistor equal to 12 k. It sees this is a better value compared to the previous 1 k and 16 k. We have maximum (complete?) cancellation for the first three Rs values.

The test fixture is shown as well.

Attachments

• LME49720 THD vs freq vs Rs 3.JPG
    LME49720 THD vs freq vs Rs 3.JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 911
  • IMGP3262.JPG
    IMGP3262.JPG
    160.3 KB · Views: 375
Last edited:
The LME series is superb in supressing common mode distortion. I asume your OPA134 version whould show much bigger differences.

Yes, you are right that the LME outperforms OPA134 in this regard. I tested the OPA2134 for CM distortion. The cancellation resistor is still effective. However, the chip does not like high valued resistor where it oscillates. A 10 pF cap is parallel with the cancellation resistor to stop osc.

The plots for 1 k, 6 k and 12 k cancellation resistor are shown below.

Attachments

• OPA2134 THD vs freq vs Rs 4.JPG
    OPA2134 THD vs freq vs Rs 4.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 93
  • OPA2134 THD vs freq vs Rs 1.JPG
    OPA2134 THD vs freq vs Rs 1.JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 321
  • OPA2134 THD vs freq vs Rs 3.JPG
    OPA2134 THD vs freq vs Rs 3.JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 84
is the cancellation resistor a resistance in the normally seen shorting link of the opamp as (non-inverting) unity gain follower?

Normally we see Output connected to -IN as a direct short.

This has come up in a couple of other threads recently.

Andrew

This was done by Silicon Chip magazine in their Studio Series Preamplifier of October 2005 with an OPA2134.(P.29)

SandyK

To necrobump this a bit :
How is the distortion affected by signal level, i e CM voltage, fex if you have a volume pot before the buffer? Here and in Selfs book the testing is done at quite high voltage.

I rarely feed 3Vrms into my power amps, as the distortion from the speakers probably outshine the buffer distortion by a couple of magnitudes then :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.