diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Analog Line Level (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analog-line-level/)
-   -   Salas hotrodded blue DCB1 build (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analog-line-level/171715-salas-hotrodded-blue-dcb1-build.html)

wendell c 11th August 2010 10:27 AM

Salas hotrodded blue DCB1 build

Ok, been stuffing the boards with parts I have available. If we are looking at the board horizontally on top right IRFP240 it looks as if there is an insertion hole missing for one end of the 470r resistor.

Also, the BOM states that there are 4 sk170 matched, where on the board do they go?

Macronaut 11th August 2010 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wendell c (Post 2269373)
Ok, been stuffing the boards with parts I have available. If we are looking at the board horizontally on top right IRFP240 it looks as if there is an insertion hole missing for one end of the 470r resistor.

Also, the BOM states that there are 4 sk170 matched, where on the board do they go?

Concerning that 470R resistor, the pad is there. However, it is positioned on its end instead of mounting flat against the board. This was done as a compromise for the board layout.

The matched 2SK170's are in a row near the muting relay marked 4x 2SK170BL. You will want to keep the the matched FET's together with one set on each side. They are arranged so one set will have the flat side pointing to one side and the other set reversed from that. I believe that if you have a set of FET's where one has a slightly higher Ids than the other (eg. 7.7 & 7.8 Ids) then you place the higher Ids (7.8) in the middle of that row. The signal FET (7.7) is on the end of the row.

AndrewT 11th August 2010 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macronaut (Post 2269407)
I believe that if you have a set of FET's where one has a slightly higher Ids than the other (eg. 7.7 & 7.8 Ids) then you place the higher Ids (7.8) in the middle of that row. The signal FET (7.7) is on the end of the row.

there was an earlier poster who claimed that he got better sound by running the amplifying FET at a bias above it's Idss.

I disagreed then and still do now.
A jFET follower will tolerate some higher current running during signal induced high Vgs, read Curl. But there is a big downside to using a high bias at above Idss and then applying the signal induced Vgs sending current even higher.

I would much rather run the bias at 95% of Idss rather than set bias to 105% of Idss
What the B1, as proposed by Pass, does is run the FET follower at very near but not above 100% Idss.

Salas 11th August 2010 12:58 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by wendell c (Post 2269373)

Middle ones are to be the (very slightly) lower IDSS ones between matched pairs. Example.

Please make all assembly questions to the building thread so we keep them together in a known place.

P.S. The new board & its circuit we talk about for people bumping here to understand, are in the pictures below:

AndrewT 11th August 2010 01:11 PM

Salas hotrodded blue DCB1 build

Hi Builders,
place your solutions and problems here.

ppcblaster 11th August 2010 01:55 PM

Thank You

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewT (Post 2269475)
Hi Builders,
place your solutions and problems here.

Salas 11th August 2010 02:10 PM

OK, I moved the relevant posts here, although they went to the top because they auto arrange in chronological order. Is it OK?

What was that you wanted to know ppcb?

dvb projekt 11th August 2010 02:11 PM

Started a GB for the new Mundorf HighEnd M-LYTIC AG psu caps ;)

ppcblaster 11th August 2010 02:25 PM

Blue DCB1 BOM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my BOM please advise.

Salas 11th August 2010 02:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
To understand, your question is about opinions in parts quality decisions? If yes, the members will surely have comments.

*Here I upload the general BOM guide too so it can be found in this thread as well.