Salas hotrodded blue DCB1 build

What are folks in the North America using for power supply transformers? I see ANTEK is re-stocking after their factory fire, so that is an affordable option. Has anyone used Plitron or Primrose? Any r-core ideas (with suitable VA)?

Thanks,
Ryan

I purchased one of these (Model: R80-53)

100W R-Core Transformer 115V//230V ,Pre amplifier / DAC

I wanted to try an RCORE. I saw some others had used this one 100VA and then also the 50VA one whcih is a bit cheaper. The shipping is kind of harsh.

go back about 20 - 30 pages and some talk on this RCORE I speak of.

I can't remember if I did or not share with you my DCB1 balanced build so here it is!

My two modules fully assembled

670aaey0.jpg

zwgi2hhq.jpg

Here's the heatsinking! Lots of it... I'm currently running it with 3R3 resistor but I planned for 1R so hence all the heatsinking. Base plate holding the heatsinks is 0.25" thick

krqa6p98.jpg

Here the base plate is mounted in a Par-Metal chassis. Only one transfo for now for testing.

qjlwkjt1.jpg

I've added a Goldpoint balanced stepped attenuator and a Goldpoint source selector.

7z65vrn2.jpg

Here's an ensemble view showing everything plus the back panel. I'm also using AMB switch driver for power on the beast! :D

2012-12-27%252008.19.54.jpg

Here's the finished product!

2013-02-01%252019.07.23.jpg

This was a great fun building but an even greater one listening to the music!

Thanks Salas and Tea-Bag for this great project!

Do

@pinnocchil

Impressive and well built. I'm sure you will get many many years of service out of that!

What is the silver spool to the left? Did you wire with .999 pure silver?

Hi Mantha3,

Thanks for the comment! I do hope to get many years of listening with it. I'm planning to change the resistors from 3R3 to 1R in the coming weeks to test the sound difference if any.

The spool that you see is tin, copper, silver then I have a spool of 37/63, a spool of Johnson's IA-423 (ternary eutectic) and a little bit of Mundorf Silver/Gold solder.

I don't use much of the spool you see on the picture anymore since it is harder to melt, need almost 400 degrees...

Thanks
Do

I have not been able to find an answer yet to my question so here goes : If I were to use either the Mezmerize or Hypnotize pcb as a preamp and not dedicated power, could I add a 3 pole terminal block where its marked V+, G, V- and tap off that to power other kit? From other posts and my findings it should be between 9v and 10V.

Thx

yes.
The DC supply in the Mez & Hyp has a lot of spare capacity to supply other low current circuits.
There is also spare capacity in the unregulated DC after the smoothing that can be used in other circuits. The 3pin regulator and relays are an example of using some of this spare capacity (on one polarity).

yes.
The DC supply in the Mez & Hyp has a lot of spare capacity to supply other low current circuits.
There is also spare capacity in the unregulated DC after the smoothing that can be used in other circuits. The 3pin regulator and relays are an example of using some of this spare capacity (on one polarity).

Will it have any negative impact on parts downstream or sound quality? In my case I would use regulated but could you be so kind as to pin point where on the pcb or parts I could tap off if I did want unregulated?

Thx

Hi everybody. Today I received all missing parts (takman resistors for buffer, mundorf caps and transformer) and put together DCB-1. everything went well and when I started all LEDs are lit and measurements have shown these
Voltages are -10.12 & 9.95
Offsets -1.7 & -2.1
Is it ok that both offsets are negative?

Attachments

• IMG_1431.jpg
    IMG_1431.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 329
  • IMG_1438.jpg
    IMG_1438.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 331
  • IMG_1441.jpg
    IMG_1441.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_1442.jpg
    IMG_1442.jpg