Salas hotrodded blue DCB1 build

Try polystyrene caps (Styroflex in Europe) - to my ears the offer the right combination of clarity and warmth.

Today a friend and I managed to use an old heatsink I for to finish hotrodding. Moved down from 3.9R via 1.95R to final 1.3R (= a litte more than 1A). The sound changed is pretty breathtaking. The presentation gets more solid, you get a lot more natural timbres (colours) and any hint towards harshness disappears. This preamp is absolutely unbelievable.....IMHO.

Cheers,
dubai

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Here is my homely DCB1 facing sideways running 2R current, driving big_A speakers with F6 at a fellow member and neighbors house.
Good times.

Attachments

• DCB1_F5AL.JPG
    DCB1_F5AL.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 362
Pinnocchio - Thanks for the leads. All look solid. I did some e-pay search work and lots of decent opitions. Thanks again

"I try to be cheap and unattractive as possible" - I love it! I should put that on my autosignature at work!

No problem. I personnally always buy the Modushop chassis but my friend buys the ones on ePay (the link I gave you) and it is really nice!

Ciao!
Do

Salas, I was curious and deciding which value for the potentiometer in front of the DCB1 to choose, either 10K or 25K? I thought that 10K is too low for loading my DAC and phone preamp, on the other hand 25K, as you have mentioned may be a bit too high for proper DCB1 operation, even thought it would benefit by less loading the source equipment. The lowest possible distortion level is the goal.
I would appreciate for your advice.

I have just received the 0,47uF FT3 caps... Damn those are HUGE!! They even came in a wooden box...

But I have just tried some new interconnect cabling and to be honest I do not feel like changing anything for now... Sweet sweet sweet music :D

For reference, here is a photo showing the relative sizes of the caps.

attachment.php

From left to right we have...

0.012uF FT1 teflon (wrapped and unwrapped)
0.47uF Mundorf Supreme
0.47uF Mundorf Supreme Silver-Gold
2.2uF K75-10 PIO
0.1uF FT3 teflon
0.22uF FT3 teflon
0.47uF FT3 teflon

Attachments

• DIM_1632.jpg
    DIM_1632.jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 1,268