Salas hotrodded blue DCB1 build

I'm really not sure what to think. I did some measures with the same device I used for the 170BL that now is on the cards and I have no left to reference to. Its a 100R resistor, not 1k as earlyer stated. Battery says 9,5 V.

Some 2SK117GR that I had a bag of and the 2SK170BLF says around 3-6 mA, compared to the values I got from the 170BL that is 6-10 mA.

Staffan

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Faked American Fets for K170 usually have some symbol in there that the dodgy fellas leave there and only grind and change the face print. That is why I asked you to check. Another subtle clue is at the pins where they enter the plastic. If genuine Toshiba you can see a hint of copper color that is not completely tinned.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Capacitors coupled B1 takes monopole, this one takes bipolar PSU. Better avoid switching PSUs anyway unless it is essentially practical to use one. And better filter it further. Even DC to DC converter regs produce traces of their inner works along their DC output.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
...And here is an output noise example from some LM2596 buck regulator PCB I had around. Has the datasheet output filtering configuration. 10V input 5V output -no load- in this take. High efficiency step down switcher yes, steady DC output yes, much current capability yes, clean enough for hi-res audio PSU use rather no.

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 276
  • LM2596S_Noise.png
    LM2596S_Noise.png
    76 KB · Views: 273
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
That ripple goes to 60mV peak to peak when it gives 1A. It receives linearly regulated DC input in the test, I don't know if it adds even more stuff if fed from just bridge and capacitor. Typical laptop bricks can be worse or bit better but that's the deal more or less. Silent SMPS are costly and sophisticated. Like those for Hypex Ncore amps.