Salas hotrodded blue DCB1 build

Quick question for you guys.

I have made myself a balanced version of the DCB1 and I have 3 Balanced XLR and 2 SE RCA input and on the output I have 1 Balanced XLR and one SE RCA.

I'm using one DCB1 per balanced channel and when using it in SE I do the same thing but connect the signal to +phase and ground to signal ground.

I wanted to know on the RCA input, if I should shunt the antiphase (-phase) to ground or put in a resistor for a fake load since I'm only using one channel per side in SE mode.

Thanks
Do

hi,

few quick questions regarding two 35VA pcb 15v transformers I have paralleled. The adjustment R is 2 ohms making it 1.77VDC and 1.92VDC on the rails. Wattage meter shows about 48VA of constant consuming. So as advised by Andrew I'm still in a safe zone :)

1. Trafos have 2x110v primaries, is it safe to use them? Checked the mains during the week and it varies from 218 till 228v.

2. I get quite audible hum when I'm close to them (about 10cm). Could that be reduced somehow? Will mu-metal be helpful here?

Attachments

• IMG_0539.jpg
    IMG_0539.jpg
    541.5 KB · Views: 375
Hi. This have probably been declared many time but the thread is long and I'm about to bench the scrap trannys laying around, so I wonder if someone can be kind to recover what current each card is likely to draw with a 10 ohm resistor, and what AC under load the tranny is recommended to supply on the secondarys?

Best regards
Staffan

12x12V 30Vac will work well for stock 63 Ohm //
15x15V 50Vac will work well for mid range hot rod 7 - 10 Ohm
15x15V 100Vac will work well for full blown Nitro Drag strip hot rod 3 Ohm = Fire breathing Dragon

Ron

Edit; Look at your own post #1581, your question has already been answered by Salas

Last edited:
Well thank you but actually not. I wondered what current each card acrually draws, not the recommended VA on the tranny. Recommended VA according to manufactuerers spec is usually much more then the actual current draw. I also wondered recommended VAC on the secondarys but since I'm gonna dummyload my trannys they might give 14 or 16 under load and I also wondered what might be decent there. Maybe its 15 minimum?

Thanks anyway.

Staffan

Steffan,
I did not mean to be rude, sorry if it came across that way.
I am using a 15V x 15V 50Vac TX, after regulation my V is -9.5 and +9.7, taken at the 3 holes in the middle the board.
Using 7R0 I'm at 197mA and 179mA.
Voltage across R is +1.377 and -1.325. Measurements taken from the 3 pin output show
R= .0002 and L= -.0016 DC offset. Mezmerise board

Hope this helps.
Ron

None taken, thanks for the helpful info both of you. I have a closit full of retired trannys, some of them unmarked and unmeasured. So today I made me this dummy doll.

First tranny up was speced 15 VAC*2,6A*2 on secondarys wich makes 78 VA. Loaded on dummydoll it gave 2*17,7 VAC on secondarys and 2*22,5 VDC over R100 resistors. That is about 2*225 mA.

A little biggy for one card, Ill load it more and see what I get.

With 2*33 ohm load it delivers 2*16 VAC wich makes + - 18,6 VDC and it still doesnt hum or get the least warm. Thats 2*560 mA. It will take 2 cards easy, maybe even 4.

Staffan

Last edited:
I tormented the 78 VA tranny a bit more today. At 16,2 ohm load I get 16,9 VAC and 20,0 VDC. Thats 2*1,23 A, so about half its spec. It does not get warm (but load resistors do glow). I can now hear a very tiny hum with the ear close the tranny but thats nothing but normal.

I will run 4 cards and the goal is have it configurable for SE stereo, balanced stereo and 8 channel movie. If I go for the 10 ohm resistors it seems like I will end up on say 2*4*170 mA= 1360 mA total, about half the value that for the last half hour has tormented the loadresistors, and a quarter of the tranny-spec.

I'd say a 225 mA tranny that I was thinking to buy would mostly had contributed to more EMC in the case.

Well, testing with the real Mcoy is the final test but this seems like a plan. Now to glowbug/sand-matching.

Have a good day!
Staffan