Salas hotrodded blue DCB1 build

Infra-Red gun.
Like this one. You'll find lots of other uses for one too.
Ron

Attachments

• IR temp gun.jpg
    IR temp gun.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 319
Salas

No good news...

I tried to return to Cerafine but, like before, the 2 strigs of 5leds don't light up...

Before swapping the capacitors, my DCB1 was perfect.

Maybe for desolder the Capacitors, can too much hot have damage some transistors?

Thanks in advance to everyone can help me.

Marco

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
There is no reason losing the Vref for just tasting termination capacitors. Some mishap must have occurred during ''operations''. See if the JFETs at the 5 LEDS tails are intact also. Is your iron showing ~0 Ohm from tip to its mains earth prong? Is it static safe in other words? Check for live Vbe, Vgs, everything semi.

OK folks, I'm ready to put some power to this thing. I have an ANTEK 50Va by 12v x 2 torroidal transformer. 2 red, 2 black and 1 purple wires on 120v side. And 2 green and 2 blue wires on 12v side. Do I wire mains(120 side) in parallel, and same on 12v side?
Too many wires and I would really like to not toast this board up.Suggestions?

Last edited:
A couple more newbie DCB1 questions.......

My DCB1 is working fine, but I have a few questions.....

I'm running 10 ohm R's (200ma config) with two separate 60VA 12V single secondary transformers (so 120VA total). My DC output voltages are +10.04 and -10.11 and the unloaded transformer voltages are about 13.2VDC. I understand that for most of the various hot rod configs at least 15VDC/50VA is recommended. How do I test/verify that I have enough voltage headroom with my transformers? Should I measure the DC output voltage stability with a 5K or 10K load on the outputs at full input signal?

I'm also measuring 2V across the 10R on the IRFP240 side and 1.75V across the 10R on the 9240 side, so 200ma and 175ma. I understand this is the quiescent current for the shunt part of the PS.

Is it normal to have 25ma different between the + and - sides? I am assuming that it is, and is probably no big deal.