Salas hotrodded blue DCB1 build

Joined 2008
Paid Member
I have seen 20dB lower harmonic noise when exchanging a toroid with an R-Core in one box MC phonos. Basically its the only type it can live together in same box, save the little inaudible 50Hz you still get on FFT because of the AC wiring.

Then otherwise a 100VA R-core and a 100VA toroid should be pretty indistinguishable in terms of sound? That's my impression.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Have you posted your experimental details elsewhere?

No, because I didn't think it was a particular finding since R-Core are primarily designed towards low field. Not having corners in their core shape and by carefully balancing the opposing bobbins. Some are a failure due to imprecision mind you. Have had Chinese with multiple secondaries running hot and noisy. The more windings the more difficult to fulfill the cancelling goals. ''R'' name comes from reminding the horse racing track shape by the way.

Good for minimal magnetic field.

I have seen 20dB lower harmonic noise when exchanging a toroid with an R-Core ...............

..............should be pretty indistinguishable in terms of sound? .............
If the second follows from the first, then surely there must be some audible benefit?
20dB (1/100th part) is a mighty big reduction in mains harmonics.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
If the second follows from the first, then surely there must be some audible benefit?
20dB (1/100th part) is a mighty big reduction in mains harmonics.

MC phono is a special needy case and there it is a must if in same box. Line or power level can be made quiet enough with no positioning and wiring mistakes when using EI or toroid. Still you may remember Roender recommending R-Core for close proximity boxing up with his folded cascode amp. I think you got one of those?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
You are supporting the claim by re-expressing it.
Have you previously posted elsewhere your experimental method and/or details?

As I told you no, I haven't saved and posted before and after FFTs but I think that I had mentioned enough times in the phono thread that I use R-Core in solo MC boxes after I had found toroid unusable for hum and buzz unless separately boxed. I have no reason to pay bank transfer and shipping for R-Core from France if a locally made and instantly available toroid could cut it.