Salas hotrodded blue DCB1 build

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Thanks Salas.

I have Acoustat 2+2 speakers with a Revel B120 subwoofer (cutting it at 60hz), a PS Audio 200c amp, a modified Behringer DEQ2496 (output stage by-passed with Jensen transformers) and an Audio Widget for dacs and a currently armless VPI HW-19 turntable (looking for an Ittok arm for it). 99% of my music is in flacs in a computer which feeds the audio widget dac by usb and the Berhinger from spdif, using mpd in linux.

Advanced system.

Finally I hook up the DCB1 to my Icon and JBL for testing, after 2 hours listening I can tell you that the Icon/JBL never sounds so nice before. Wide sound stage, detail and smooth... I will let it run for a little longer then connect it to my main system.

I havn't replace the PS caps yet, the input/output PRP resistors were replaced, the 2 100uf e-caps were replaced with BG, 2 1M PRP were replaced with Tokyo. Transformer is Talema 100VA 2x15Vac. I will order 2 3R resistors next week to make it hotter.

Thanks for Salas and Tea-bag putting together such a nice project.

I will still need to look for a good remote volume and selector control and put everything in a nice case.

20c19154.jpg

5ae9618b-1.jpg

The case was from my old tube pre-amp I built 15 years ago. I had the DAC2 for more than 2 years already, I was one of the early owner. I am using a AD1955 DAC (next to the oppo) for the last few months and like the AD1955 better, the DAC2 has more features but I wasn't using much. I don't listen to HD material only CD or flac ripe from my own CD. I us a OPPO 83 SE Nuforce as a transport. Rowland model 2 power amp and Capri pre-amp and I am using the capri for volume control until I decided on one.

46f91c8d.jpg

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Finished my cap testing, kept the Black Gate STD, which finally sounded great after well over 200 hours of break-in. Their imaging and definition was the best of the lot, but I still find them sounding a bit bright. I would rank Slimic II as second best.

The finished thing has a Chinese rcore,
View attachment 278312 View attachment 278313

Where did you source the transformer?

Last edited:
Did that really make a massive diffence over a 60VA Troroid ?

I could hardly tell the difference between a decent CRC and Salas Reg, both driven wth an over spec 60VA toroid.

Can't tell you if the rcore itself made a difference, because I did have a toroid (12v 50va) before and wanted to go to 15v and decided to get an rcore based on a previous recommendation in this thread. The improvement in sound could've have been just from moving from 12v to 15v and not the transformer design itself.