Salas hotrodded blue DCB1 build

Not sure about that, but I will keep it in mind for the 3R3 version. ;)

I've a component selection very similar to yours, try those caps... ;)

I just noticed that I have 100uF/35V Elna Silmic II caps, will they do OK?

Sadly no, too much reverbs.

Maybe Silmic first version (ROS)

Last edited:
Parts Connexion has the ROA cerafines, otherwise I'm afraid I'm stuck and go for Nichicon FG caps?

OK, I ordered some Elna Cerafines and Nichicon FG caps from Parts Connexion.

Also HiFi Collective in UK has them but I've answered too late, sorry...

Now I have to do something I really hate, and that is desoldering parts :mad:

Sorry, but I think you'll like the result ;)

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Voila, the Panasonic FC's are out. Now I have to wait until my package from PC arrives.
Do the Cerafines have preference over the Nichicon's?

Walter

Elna, warmer -IMO
Nichicon, I use the MUSE in the kits, A little cooler. both detailed. Not too in the way anyways.

I think power supply bias and signal resistors have the most influence here. All opinion of course.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
You will see in your system contex what will fit you best after familiar enough with the buffer added I guess. Keep a choices arsenal, but its always safe to start with tips of those who have been there before. I preferred BGNX to cerafine when they were available, but alas, now its an irrelevant tip.

What about Silmic II? Some also like them terminating the regs at the 100uF positions.

IMHO, Silmics II adds reverbs that are not present on signal.

Since in my system a buffer isn't strictly necessary, I've checked againt a simple SMD stepped attenuator (identical to the one used on the DCB1).

I preferred BGNX to cerafine when they were available, but alas, now its an irrelevant tip.

I do agree, in fact I'm using Black Gate STD and PKs on leds, second best were Cerafines.

Did you try Nichicon Muse also?

Yes, the higher grade Nichicon KZ (they were the first caps mounted) and they sound very good too (full and pleasant) but in the long term they sound somewhat confused Vs other caps.

I've had the same feeling in every place I've used them...

I've recently tried also the green bipolar ones in the DCB1, too much warm.