Salas hotrodded blue DCB1 build

Hi,

I havent been able to find what each card takes in current but if I understand it right av 50 VA 2*15 V tranny is what is recommended?

Then this will be more then enough for 4 cards?

Specifications
voltage: 2 x 15V
current: 2 x 7.50A
regulation: 6%
weight: 2.70kg
Ø: 130mm max.
height: 56mm max

Best regards
Staffan

Finally, finished my first DIY project -- a balanced DCB1
This basically copied the design of johnwmclean with a quad gang pot for volume control and an extra rectifier in the ground loop breaker -- Thanks John for your help regarding my silly questions. Also thanks to tea-bag for his help. Still have 2 boards to come and can't wait for another build.
I am currently running at 400ma (i.e. with 5R resistors). DC output is around 1mv for both channels -- dead silence. Sounds really good too. Thanks Salas for making this possible and all the help from everyone.

Attachments

• DCB1_001.jpg
    DCB1_001.jpg
    625.7 KB · Views: 481
  • DCB1_002.jpg
    DCB1_002.jpg
    555.4 KB · Views: 455
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Guys what resistors do you recommend for Hot rod ?
Is Kiwame 10R / 5 Watt ok?

I think the Kiwame's will do the job. I'm gonna use Mills 1% Wirewound 5W and Dale NS5 1% Wirewound 5W. Still have to build it though.

Regards

I'd shoot for the lowest ppm.
The one's I sell with the full kit are oversized and 50PPM,

The Mills are even better ~20PPM.

Some metal films of MOX one's are 250-350 PPM.

don't know about the Kiwame's. Not much information found about this particular spec.

Kiwame are rebranded KOA SPR, you can find the datasheet easily.

BTW they're carbon film so you can expect a much higher one (350ppm).

I've tried Mills in that position and they sound good but they somewhat hide details.

I'm going to try Caddocks MP930 next week.

Finally, finished my first DIY project -- a balanced DCB1
This basically copied the design of johnwmclean with a quad gang pot for volume control and an extra rectifier in the ground loop breaker -- Thanks John for your help regarding my silly questions. Also thanks to tea-bag for his help. Still have 2 boards to come and can't wait for another build.
I am currently running at 400ma (i.e. with 5R resistors). DC output is around 1mv for both channels -- dead silence. Sounds really good too. Thanks Salas for making this possible and all the help from everyone.

Congrats Jay, it looks excellent, well done!

:cheers:

I'm going to try Caddocks MP930 next week.

Mounted them some hours ago... wow! :cool:

In tha last months I've used a crossover MOX to recover from the closed and no much detail given by Mills, but those MOX had a bit of harsness that I couldn't manage to remove fiddling with other components...

The Caddocks are simply right: full and open, detailed, never harsh, gorgeous voices.

Soundstage wider and deeper too.

The best money I've spent on the DCB1! :)

For fuller sound the hot rod resistors are not the most important components...

Well, I was wrong... Caddocks give also a fuller sound... ;)

What resistance did you use?

10R

They are pricy though.

Yes, they are (7.95$ each from PCX)... but not incredibly more than Mills (2.50$ each from PCX) that are widely used with the DCB1.

The sound difference is worth 3x price? IMHO absolutely yes...

At the end they're 10 bucks more... a couple of good quality beers, isn't it? ;)