Salas hotrodded blue DCB1 build

I am cheap too, but the question is whether or not it offers any signficant improvement. I wouldn't think there is much to be gained, but looking for more experienced opinions. I am going to try his dual mono as well as a truly balanced version.

In my build, I used 2 separate buffer boards, hotrodded, for the main left and right balanced outputs. I also used another buffer board, not so hotrodded (did not have the thermal budget" inside the case) with the buffers driving L&R unbalanced outputs for a headphone amp, and powering another 4 buffers on perf-board for parallel balanced output to drive subwoofers.

Comparing the 2 sets of balanced outputs driving some full-range monitors, there is a fair difference in sound between the heavily hotrodded main outputs with dedicated PSU per channel, and the other outs which share a not-so-hotrodded PSU. The main outs are more detailed, smoother, more dynamic and with a bigger "space". The parallel sub outs do not sound bad (fine for a subwoofer), but I would say in comparison the the main outs the sound is more constricted, a little less smooth and with a slight loss of detail. This was a single blind test with 4 listeners. Not exactly scientific, but I was surprised at the level of difference. Take it for what it's worth, possibly not much, but it's what happened with my build.

Cheers,
bk

You're very welcome, as I said it's not exactly what you wanted, however I'm not surprised that the hotrodded PSUs sound significantly better (ie I think that makes sense, probably lower output impedance), and I also think that separate PSUs will offer slightly less crosstalk - this might be audible, I doubt it but I've been wrong before... And whatever tests I do are dependent on the rest of the system and my (or the listeners) ears, it may well not translate to your system, situation and ears... For the record, the hotrodded PSUs are running at about 40-45 degrees C on the heat sinks and the not-so-hotrodded is running at about 30 degrees C - it's not *so* different.

If you use a 230:12Vac transformer and mains is @ 230-6% then the fully loaded output voltage is ~11.28Vac +-transformer tolerance.
The output from the rectifier is ~14.5Vdc.
For a recommended Vdrop across the CCS of 7Vdc then the maximum output voltage of the regulator is ~ 7.5Vdc.
Well short of the 10Vdc to 10.5Vdc target.

Do the sums !

Mouser !

I tried to order some goods from them.
Cost $4, great value.
Post $12.
Canceled the order.

Depends on how much you buy (they do ship by weight) and where you are located. I bought $100 worth of items, but everything weighed less than 1 lb, so my shipping in the U.S. was $4.95. If you are in the U.S. and the items weigh less than 3 lbs then use USPS. Or else you are stuck with Fedex/UPS. If you are overseas, you will pay, pay, pay.

YMMV, FWIW,

Anand.