Salas hotrodded blue DCB1 build

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Ah, i was looking around every part of the PCB to make sure i didn't miss out anything. Turns out one of the transformer wire wasn't secured properly to the terminal and it was loose.

The whistle/high frequency hash is gone - but the hum's back.

I've tried every conceivable way of wiring up the GND but i can't just get rid of the hum; the hum gets louder as i turn up the attenuator volume. This is even without any source plugged in.

Is it possible that i overheated any of the parts during soldering? Are the FETs particularly susceptible to overheating? But if that were the case, then wouldn't my measured values of the voltage, offset etc be weird/wrong?

The whistle has gone is positive. Does it get warm on all sinks the same now also? Fets are sensitive, but they would just cease if soldered too hot, just getting to hum bcs of that is quite unlikely. Do you have an alternative system to check it out also, even very small one, to see if there is hum there too? Any other source than the computer card? Even an Ipod, whatever.

The whistle has gone is positive. Does it get warm on all sinks the same now also? Fets are sensitive, but they would just cease if soldered too hot, just getting to hum bcs of that is quite unlikely. Do you have an alternative system to check it out also, even very small one, to see if there is hum there too? Any other source than the computer card? Even an Ipod, whatever.
Yea the sinks are all equally warm. You're absolutely right - it was the wind draft that caused some to be cooler than the rest.

Actually the strange thing is i've been testing the dcb1 out with a cd player all this while and the hum's there. But when i tested it with the computer sound card, it was dead quiet despite the lack of attention to wiring detail. Because of the nasty sudden hum that triggered out of the blue, i stopped testing it using the PC.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
It looks like a system grounding thing relative to the actives. You probably got no problematic component per se. Two things to try are: 1. Link the mains earth IEC prong to DCB1 earth (middle transformer wire screw terminal will do, or whatever handy near there point on same line). 2. Wire the DVD's chassis to DCB1 earth. See if one of those actions, or both, can help.

Doh! After all that work.. it was really my mistake - the rca plugs were not properly inserted at the CDP, somehow causing the hum and weird noise.

The preamp is whisper quiet now. Zero hum/buzz at all :nod: Thank you for all your help! :cheers:

Now i will get to mounting it inside a proper chassis. Fingers crossed it will be as quiet as it was when mounted on the wood panel

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi, It is 0V

Then the relay has no trigger signal.
That could be the transistor switch that is not working or some other faulty component.

You need to now measure back through the relay drive circuit to find where the error starts.

Surely the ''note'' jumper for a 12V relay is installed?

Attachments

• note.gif
    note.gif
    58.3 KB · Views: 357
both those resistors are in parallel. Only one is needed to supply the relay coil.

I have split those resistors in a MEZ build, one feeds the mute/unmute relay with 15Vdc from a 7815 using 2k as the dropping resistor.
The other feeds the selector relays. I use 1k here, but without the current boost at start up sometimes the relay does not fire. All I do is turn the selector and then the (or any) relay always triggers on re-selection.

In my Hyp build I used one resistor to feed the relays and the other resistor to feed the current boost. Again that was 15Vdc into a resistor fed 12V relay.