Salas hotrodded blue DCB1 build

Looks so 50's English its appealing in a weird way to me. What about all those boards on low shelf? Parallel cap PSU arrays and R-Core.

*Ah, OK, you answered later on. Very individual dcb1 I must admit. What is the system it serves?

Well, it is going into a Peter Daniels' implementation LM3875 gainclone right now (pictured). Very nice it is too. I have a half built Pass F5 power amp too.

Speakers are Celestion Ditton 44s (3 way, 12" bass from 1973) which I completely rebuilt crossover and implemented new Seas tweeters. They're really great and all, but I want to try open baffle so badly now!

Then there's the awesome DAC I already mentioned. It has USB to i2s converter input right now, but soon, I will have my Airport Express output i2s straight into it - then, I'll box it all up, perhaps in metal this time ;)

And the tuner is not DIY, (valve Leak Troughline Stereo) but I am re-building the Stereo modulator of course.

Technics SL1210 Mk2 record deck with Salas shunt-regged Atlantis RIAA.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
It would be strange if texas components made a mistake. They sounded very professional. That's why I was looking for my own fault with them.

Two 120Rs are right in the middle where all four 220R resistors should have been. And the bass is very, very weak.

Lucas, groovy boxes. Like that personal touch too.

I’ll double check my boards tonight, from memory two of my texas 220R resistors measured 120R in circuit and 220R before installation.
I thought I may have fried them too, but I have two DCB1 boards with exactly the same components to verify ie both resistors measured the same (120R) in circuit on each board.

Good. Since you got the sinking, its OK to hot-rod further. Pictures?
--pictures to come, just need to get some time and I will definitely post some pics.

I measured 1.3v drop across the 10R resistor, using my 18-0-18 v R type transformer connected directly to the mains. Ultimately I will be powering the DCB1 from a balanced AC PS that has approx 210-220v. I also have a 15-0-15 transformer on hand to use if the higher output one does not work out.

I would like to tap 5-9v DC from this board to supply my switched relay volume control which is rated at 150ma. I tried to use a 30 ohm resistor in series with the LM7812 on the DCB1 but interfered with the relay operation. what would be the best way to obtain this extra voltage supply? I was going to add a 9v 78 series regulator, but hoped that you may have a more elegant solution.

I also found that all the LEDs illuminated on the PCB with only one half of the transformer connected and the DCB1 seemed to work well on 1/2 of the supply.

Brad

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The drop across RcurrentSet has to do with the Vf of the 3 leds minus the Vgs of the CCS Mosfet. The most productive is you arrange the I=V/R via proper R value to target I than changing leds or Mosfet. Vgs will also differentiate for different currents a little.

I would nick just after the rectification, tapping off the filter cap to a 3 legged chip for the sub circuit needed. Don't overload the 7812 (you saw the result).

That with the illuminated leds was by using one secondary across the Tx connector I suppose, not middle and next inserts.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I've found the source (partial?) of that horrible sound. Kinked interconnects. Cables were loosely soldered to connectors. The sound is not bright at all at the moment, but the lower region is still uninvolving.

I'm looking at B1 schematics, but being amateur I am, I can't undertand what two of 220R are parallel to.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
If you measure a circa 7.2mA 170BL across D to S pins using the Ohm meter function of your DMM you will find circa 43R RDS. There is no extra source resistor(s) in the B1. So 220Ri+43RDS=263R. This one goes closing to earth for DC both ways, paralleling Ro. RDC=(263*220)/(263+220). 57860/483=119.79.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I’ll double check my boards tonight, from memory two of my texas 220R resistors measured 120R in circuit and 220R before installation.
I thought I may have fried them too, but I have two DCB1 boards with exactly the same components to verify ie both resistors measured the same (120R) in circuit on each board.

I'm very interested in your double checking. What's the explanation behind this resistance change then?

Those are correct for the DC realm.