Salas hotrodded blue DCB1 build

I have the latest DCB1 HR board from the latest group buy on the way. Is the BOM at the beginning of the thread still current? Are there any recommended premium parts?

I recommend making the selection of heat sinks for the four MOSFETs your first priority. You are going to need some serious heat sinks for a 200mA or greater constant current. Your chose of heat sink is going to effect how you mount the MOSFETs, and the dimensions of the chassis. You may also find that the heat sinks may crowd adjacent components.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I can recommend Shinkoh Tantalums in the signal path. If you are using a decent thickness of aluminium for the base of your enclosure [3mm/1/8ins or thicker] just bend the mosfet legs and attatch them to the base; not forgetting to use insulators of course.

Help! Low jfet IDSS

Hi folks.

I have a 20pcs of 2SK170BL (taped) but the IDSS range from 1.62-2.81mA which seems like they're mislabeled "GR" grade. I can't return them so am asking if it is possible to still use them in the DCB1 build.

If yes, in which position/s? (I'm assuming that I should be using the higher IDSS ones and discard those with lower values).

Appreciate all the advise given.

Ciao a tutti,

my hot rodded dcb1 just finished :)

Some test value :

1) Vout + 10,09 v ; Vout -10,00 v .

2) dc out : right channel -0,1 mv left channel -0,8 mv

3) ccs sink temp : around 49 °

What do you think about these value, specifically Vout?

Next step: fit it in a case ( probably hifi2000 gx288 model ) and build a

lightspeed volume control.

Now is time to play and enjoy music with it ;)

A great thank you to all members involved in this diy project.

Anto

Attachments

• dcb1.jpg
    dcb1.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 472
Hi Salas!

thanks for your reply.

Yes I will substitute the sinks with more efficient models.

My audio chain tourns around altec 414 onken bass with medium 288 16g/ 311-60 altec horn system and gauss 1505 tweeter.

Pre diy: ugs all inclusive, l'euridice (tube pre with ec8010 and output tx).

Ampli diy : aleph 30 ( hotroddedd at 1,10 A per mosfet)
up
il triodino (single ended 6c5 fivre with electro harmonix 300b)

Dac : assembled around four 1704 burr brown and ecc 188 tube I/V
conversion

I'm very happy with it.

Ciao,

Anto

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Salas!

thanks for your reply.

Yes I will substitute the sinks with more efficient models.

My audio chain tourns around altec 414 onken bass with medium 288 16g/ 311-60 altec horn system and gauss 1505 tweeter.

Pre diy: ugs all inclusive, l'euridice (tube pre with ec8010 and output tx).

Ampli diy : aleph 30 ( hotroddedd at 1,10 A per mosfet)
up
il triodino (single ended 6c5 fivre with electro harmonix 300b)

Dac : assembled around four 1704 burr brown and ecc 188 tube I/V
conversion

I'm very happy with it.

Ciao,

Anto

Interesting system. And what are you planning to do with DCB1? Use it alternatively to a preamp, or just buffer a DAC? You should watch grounds with so sensitive loudspeakers for no buzz. Let us know impressions. Regards.

Hi,

I have built pass f5, penasa my ref and my evo too...:eek:

For now I will use dcb1 with lightspeed as general pre swapping it with the others pre.

Very interesting idea buffer dac with it.

Could be put into a greater case with one of penasa's ampli in order to obtain an integrated amplifier for a second smaller hifi chain.

Will post some listening impression soon....

Ciao,

Anto

Hello Salas, I’m trying to find out as much as I can regarding balancing a blue DCB1 build (using 2 boards). I have not come across any completed builds that have are balanced as yet, information is sparse, I have spend considerable time searching in vain. I’ve posted this layout in the Mesmerize build thread, AndrewT responded kindly regarding the importance of matched impedances for the input and output, thanks Andrew.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Is there anything else that would be of importance with such an undertaking would any component changes benefit from balanced operation? Is this layout workable?

Thanks for a wonderful project.
John

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hello. Since I don't have balanced DIY gear, I never attempted a balanced DCB1. Thus I can't give you any expert advice. I can only comment that whatever applies for balanced wiring in a regular B1 applies to DCB1 equally. There were a couple of connection schematics proposed in B1 & DCB1 threads, not some finished application shown yet. Yours looks logical for connectivity too. Why the Zobel? To track Zo better supersonically between phases?