Salas hotrodded blue DCB1 build

Joined 2006
Paid Member
It really makes a lot of good sense, how you've laid it out. I also like what some of the commercial amps do, using a thick strong PCB and incorporating the RCAs in PCB mount form, which then poke through holes in the chassis. A vertically placed PCB works best for this, as it is much stronger then, bolted to the back wall of the chassis.

Otherwise, wiring from the relay board to the RCAs in damned fiddly if trying to keep cabling short, I've found.

....yep. :) and i have just the right vampire connectors for the job.....thanks for the idea, back to the drawing board, might as well do things right.

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Salas,

No, did not try it yet, but it's awfull close to the output terminals......220V i mean.

At least with the secondary ac only, voltage is lower so induced 50hz hum , if any, should be much lower.

I would like to fit it all in....would make a nice clean unit.....:)

Not having the mains in any audio box is best theoretically. Expecting to see your final build since you are putting much mechanical design and automation effort in it. Wishing success.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi all,

I'm on the last leg of my build....designing input relay switch board and have a layout question/doubt.

The proximity of R and L tracks makes crosstalk acceptable or not ?

here is a snapshot of my present layout of output relays:

Interesting board CeeVee :up:

Because i also want multiple inputs, i have ordered this one:

Input Selector Kit 6-to-1 Way Stereo

Any thoughts about that?

Hi Salas,

No, did not try it yet, but it's awfull close to the output terminals......220V i mean.

At least with the secondary ac only, voltage is lower so induced 50hz hum , if any, should be much lower.

I would like to fit it all in....would make a nice clean unit.....:)

Why don't you put your transformer in the front left corner? So the cables go between the side and the DCB1 filter cap...

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Why don't you put your transformer in the front left corner? So the cables go between the side and the DCB1 filter cap...

yep considering that, .....and if you look a the hifi2000 alu side profile you will notice it has a channel with partial opening to the inside of the box....nice to route cables while shielding them if i earth the box....which i will ofcourse.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Interesting board CeeVee :up:

Because i also want multiple inputs, i have ordered this one:

Input Selector Kit 6-to-1 Way Stereo

Any thoughts about that?

Nice dvb...only would check the quality of relay contacts.....that is the only issue of inportance here, i've got omron, nec and nais to choose from, all good.

very cheap board too.:)

mine is comanded by the display, remote board but otherwise...same thing!

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Not having the mains in any audio box is best theoretically. Expecting to see your final build since you are putting much mechanical design and automation effort in it. Wishing success.

You bet I'll post for sure.

It's an exercise i enjoy and i can then confortably move on to next build with a feeling of mission accomplished.

It's amazing even with all this simulation in the end there is always something that requires improvisation.....:)

Joined 2006
Paid Member
What is the rest of of the system it is destined to serve in? All DIY?
well right now i am using Linkwitz Orions which took me over a year to finish, amps are ATI which SL send me over from the states, when price was good .

Preamp at the moment is UGS ( All in one ) ...very good !

Sources are: Shanling cd100MKII with IV rebuilt with Zen Mod's help

or Sony 337......gorgeous mechanism.

or Arcam CD37

or Squeezebox for hires FLAC files

Oh yes and DAC at the moment is Buffalo ver 1.....ver II is in the works ( waiting for D1 IV board ).

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi Salas,

these are all i got here at the office....got lots more at home if you are interested.

..just noticed a mistake above...it's Arcam Diva 73....not 37.

my " fascination" as you call it for mechanical layout is having a field day with my Shigaclone design.......

Attachments

• 4Salas1.jpg
    4Salas1.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 707
  • 4Salas2.jpg
    4Salas2.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 707
  • 4Salas3.jpg
    4Salas3.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 691
Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
yes these do need breathing space distance from backwall and side is essential

but my living room is around 45 m2 so it's plenty big enough.

These are Orion+ version i'm in the process of upgrading the ASP to Orion 3.2....which is the latest.

edit: ah yes the sound.......gorgeous, real very real !

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Such speakers can take advantage of the intrinsic electronics resolution and appreciate differences since they don't inhibit the first msec of an impulse in a stuffed box. Those, and high sens low diffraction horns. Lets see how the Blue is going to differentiate to the X2. Soon.

Joined 2006
Paid Member

well following your sugestion i worked on it a bit and....it fits ...with milimeters to spare....:)

Had to abandon the vampire RCAs...gained 10mm by using these round ones and that made all the diference.

how's this look...Salas ?

Attachments

• render.jpg
    render.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 695
Last edited: