Salas hotrodded blue DCB1 build

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
That is effectively pre regulating. Technically sound, but a large drop times high constant current will produce heat also on the pre reg, plus you introduce complexity that will give a different subjective result since you are wrapping the super reg in a typical chip. I would much more prefer a CRC passive pre filter, with resistors of value and Wattage/sinking to drop properly. That rectified and filtered output has to go directly to the filter caps pads on the blue at +/-20V DCin. Maybe 39R 5W amongst two 4700uF made externally or by hacking the board. That would drop about 8V for each rail of a +/-200mA set CCS on a blue.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
You can break the copper connections between + to + and - to - of blue's 4700uF pos and neg filter cap pairs and introduce a 39R 5W per rail between them underneath. With 8R2 5W set resistors where it says 10R 5W, will surely create an around +/-20VDC final DCin to the regs when using a 2x21VAC trafo. Use 35V caps, no less.

Attachments

• Hack.gif
    Hack.gif
    21.6 KB · Views: 1,458
Yeah, I bought 3x blue boards & a mesmerize too. Why so many I can't say. I missed the GB for the Mes and so when blue came around I got a bit carried away. :)

I've hacked one blue board to bits as you know.

Great project Salas, not least because you're here to hold our hand. How in hell do you speak such good English?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yeah, I bought 3x blue boards & a mesmerize too. Why so many I can't say. I missed the GB for the Mes and so when blue came around I got a bit carried away. :)

I've hacked one blue board to bits as you know.

Great project Salas, not least because you're here to hold our hand. How in hell do you speak such good English?

I have spent a year in Manchester before 20yrs. I guess I picked it up a bit there. Now, between the ''can you spare a fag mate?'' and ''ta love'' to explaining a CCS and a cascode it must have taken a miracle.:D
Was nice at the Hacienda though. Can't remember much more than Bassomatic and a constant thirst nonetheless.:D:D

I have spent a year in Manchester before 20yrs. I guess I picked it up a bit there. Now, between the ''can you spare a fag mate?'' and ''ta love'' to explaining a CCS and a cascode it must have taken a miracle.:D
Was nice at the Hacienda though. Can't remember much more than Bassomatic and a constant thirst nonetheless.:D:D

The Hacienda Salas? I was probably there at the same time mate. Heady days... Mike Pickering and Graeme Park and yes very thirsty ;)

You can break the copper connections between + to + and - to - of blue's 4700uF pos and neg filter cap pairs and introduce a 39R 5W per rail between them underneath. With 8R2 5W set resistors where it says 10R 5W, will surely create an around +/-20VDC final DCin to the regs when using a 2x21VAC trafo. Use 35V caps, no less.

Oh, and thanks for this info. I was hoping to use a spare 30VA 18-0-18 traffo just to get me going. This helps a lot.

Cheers

Amazing stuff! Have you seen the film about the Hacienda - 24 Hour Party People

Great film, by the way.

Guess what, I have "found" a whole bag of 10x BC550Cs in my box of delights, so the single reg RIAA shunt is on the road again. I'm getting 25.56v DC out and Vdrop across the 3K3 is 21.61v DC

Remind me how to calculate for a 28-30v supply will you...

By the way, this is with 1.7Vf leds.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Amazing stuff! Have you seen the film about the Hacienda - 24 Hour Party People

Great film, by the way.

Guess what, I have "found" a whole bag of 10x BC550Cs in my box of delights, so the single reg RIAA shunt is on the road again. I'm getting 25.56v DC out and Vdrop across the 3K3 is 21.61v DC

Remind me how to calculate for a 28-30v supply will you...

By the way, this is with 1.7Vf leds.

Yes, I have added a link about that flick too.

3.978k in total. Add one in series to the 3k3 that will get it about there, or make some other new combination from paralleled ones, whatever.