Salas hotrodded blue DCB1 build

Get a rag or a towel of some sort, Dip it in isopropanol and clean the board nicely again. After that use regular window cleaning fluid, like the ones that come in a plastic spray box. It'll be so shiny, you can use it as a mirror.

The matte coating is the resin, which you dissolved with the isopropanol. The alcohol evaporates fast, leaving a thin layer of resin all over the place.

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Same experience here. The resin gets solved in the alcohol, which in turn evaporates and leaves behind a sticky coating, as if the resin was just thinly spread over the whole pcb. First time it happened I thought that I had dissolved part of the pcb, but then I remembered that that's what acetone does. After some more wiping with new alcohol the board was real shiny.
Now when I clean resin off the pcb I use an old toothbrush that I dip in a small bowl with alcohol and scrub the underside of the pcb. Then rinse the board with clean alcohol until it's shiny.

Thanks for the advice. After i swapped channels.. that was when i realized something was amiss. After swapping in different preamps and sources, i found out it was actually the amp with a dead channel

It must have gone dead when i unplugged the right DCB1 channel live and heard the boom sound.. Was fine before that. Not too sure what to do now
Okay.. got my repaired amp back and still no sound on one channel with the dcb1. There's sound on both channels when i plug the source in directly into the amp this time, so.. the amp's definitely working. This time i took the volume pot out, soldered the input RCAs directly to the board. Still no sound!

So this means there's something spoilt on the board. The resistors and relays have all been swapped out already.. so that only leaves the quad matched 2sks... Anything i might have missed out?

Last edited:
Dang, turned out the input wiring was wrong on one channel, sorted that out and now sound is back on both channels, but there's still another problem. One channel sounds weird, almost like it's out of phase (but speakers are not, already checked), vocals very recessed and overall, very strange tonal balance and softer than the other channel.

The other working channel sounds absolutely beautiful, just what you'd expect. Both channels have zero hiss/hum/noise at all times.. so not too sure what to do now. Any ideas?

Thank you, Salas. You're a great help as always :)

I swapped the output and the weird channel switched over.

I tried something else, this time with my active speakers. No input at dcb1 (RCA not soldered to pcb), only output is connected to active monitors. One speaker has a funny squeal, the other is dead silent.

But when i swapped DCB1's output, BOTH speakers have the squeal this time. The strangest thing is with the passive setup there is no funny noise whatsoever. All transformer wires, signal+ground are twisted tightly. I'm really at my wit's end...