Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Salas hotrodded blue DCB1 build
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th February 2018, 10:37 AM   #5741
TioFrancotirador is offline TioFrancotirador  Poland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
Yes you can add extra Leds to boost the Vrefs and also use an adequate voltage trafo. No resistors manipulation is needed when using only Leds as voltage setting elements.

I would use three Leds* in series on thumbnail sized matrix boards and wire the whole things end to end at one of the original five Leds pads on the main board per side. Leaving one empty if first populating or pull out one original Led from each side if its an already assembled board.

Noisewise its comparable to the BiB when using same Vref filter capacitors (at the Wimas area there is space and pads for film or electrolytic). Currentwise its more capable than an unmodified BiB due to its big MOSFETS.

*Maybe mixing some green with the reds also, depends on what brand of Leds are in hand. If its important to reach the 15V goal exactly or to match the other side well, it will take some iterations in Leds picking. There are the usual VF and IDSS tolerances at play here too. If its a Mezmerize board it will also need a small easy trick not to oppose your matching efforts of its voltage sides. Because its rigged to force a small asymmetry. In that case let me know to explain more. If its a Hypnotize board do nothing further.
Thanks Salas for explanation. I do not need exact 15V I need matched -/+ @ ~15V on both rails. I know how to match leds, so I will try to do it first and then let you know. Thanks!
Old 13th March 2018, 06:43 PM   #5742
Juntuin is offline Juntuin  Finland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
Made a stupid mistake while buying trafo..with single secondaries, without center tap is there any way to connect this trafo? I guess not.
Old 13th March 2018, 07:04 PM   #5743
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Unfortunately no. See if the distributor can be talked into return and replacement.
Old 13th March 2018, 07:07 PM   #5744
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Unfortunately no. See if the distributor can be talked into return and replacement.
No can do, ordered it from Toroidy and they fabricate only on order :/ but I think can use it as aux psu in other projects. Quite expensive trafo to power fans etc
Old 13th March 2018, 07:12 PM   #5745
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Has one single secondary, two wires, that's all?
Old 13th March 2018, 07:15 PM   #5746
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Has one single secondary, two wires, that's all?
Yes, and green/yellow, but that's only shielding?
Old 13th March 2018, 07:21 PM   #5747
diyAudio Chief Moderator

If its related to the primary side its shielding. Shoot them an email in case you got lucky and you just miss some color code info.
Old 13th March 2018, 07:22 PM   #5748
diyAudio Member

Quote:
If its related to the primary side its shielding. Shoot them an email in case you got lucky and you just miss some color code info.
Gotta do that, thanks
Old 12th April 2018, 09:25 AM   #5749
sthcoaster is offline sthcoaster  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

I am currently planning my case work.

I have two large alu heatsinks that will form the side walls - but as the plan is to have enough width in the centre channel for the trafo (approx. 100mm diameter) this puts the heatsinks to far from board mounted mosfets at the side. The base alu plate (5mm but could go thicker) will be butted to heatsinks and the join made with a alu right angle. Presuming I use thermal grease etc. do y'all think I will get sufficient heat transfer to my sinks if the mosfets are mounted to baseplate?

Is the 2nd level hotrod with passive cooling possible with this kind of construction?
Old 12th April 2018, 12:02 PM   #5750
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Meaning 3R3 current setting power resistors. That will put about 10-12W on each side sink when using a 15-0-15 Vac transformer. Yes your sinking plan should prove sufficient. But move the gate stopper resistors from the board to directly on the MOSFETS gate pins if you will need cable extensions to them. Wire from each resistor's input side pad of the now empty gate stoppers board positions.

Salas hotrodded blue DCB1 buildHide this!Advertise here!