Salas hotrodded blue DCB1 build

no dramas mate, just misdirected it seems. no offense intended from this end either, but it did confuse me somewhat.

agreed that some great sound can be had simply by finding the right circuit and matching the right values between your specific components, moreso than trying to patch a badly realized combination of designs by throwing money at random expensive components.

lots of snakeoil around for sure, though less so than many other audio forums due to the slant towards understanding what you are building here. some of these things that seem silly can however have real audible effects, for unknown reasons, others however are just plain ridiculous or placebo.

that sort of dubious posting seems thicker around the 'modify your cheap ebay dac for world beating sound' type threads.

but then as I see it, who am I to argue with someone elses perception and what makes then happy. although I have been known to do so on occasion

Last edited:
Who was selling those PS audio grade caps? Unfortunately the caps I bought from hifi collective.co.uk were too big to mount on the pcb.

I tried emailing them to hopefully take them back, but I got no reply. :(

I've got to shop for a few more things; case, transformer, etc...

Anyone have any suggestions for these items?

Thanks,
JG

Who was selling those PS audio grade caps? Unfortunately the caps I bought from hifi collective.co.uk were too big to mount on the pcb.

JG

See here. His name is Oliver, also known as dvb-projekt.

Here is the thread where you went wrong :(

Best,
Anand.

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member

I've got to shop for a few more things; case, transformer, etc...

Anyone have any suggestions for these items?

Thanks,
JG

Strange that; there website lists the 4700uf 40V caps as 25mmx30mm which is what Oliver supplied in the group buy!

Those Antek transformers are so inexpensive, but people seem to like them. I was going to use a much more expensive Sumr potted/fully encapsulated transformer, but for this size unit and application it may be a waste of money.

richard can also supply his cores in a similar enclosure to the antek. if you are considering it, then I would urge you to go for it, I have nothing but good words for the man.

richard can also supply his cores in a similar enclosure to the antek. if you are considering it, then I would urge you to go for it, I have nothing but good words for the man.

I've used Richard's trannies in a headphone amp I built, and I was very pleased with the quality and service. I'm just trying to decide if encapsulating the transformer is really worth the extra $20. You have any opinions?