Salas hotrodded blue DCB1 build - Page 283 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd March 2013, 03:31 PM   #2821
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stajo View Post
Well, that is the most effective, but if they are big enough it doesnt matter that much. Heres mine standing fins down on the desk over an hour.
Click the image to open in full size.
30,6 Celsius

/Staffan
If you are running less than 4R7 the heatsinks realy start to come into play. Above that the MOSFETs barely get warm anyway.

Some guys have been pushing the Salas reg to silly currents. I tried 100mA, 300mA, 600mA and 1.2A and to me they all sounded the same. I eventually opted for longetivity by keeping everything cool and now run at about 200mA.

Last edited by KatieandDad; 2nd March 2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old 2nd March 2013, 04:24 PM   #2822
mantha3 is offline mantha3  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
100 Ohm buffer resistors Y split to start with.
I'm also looking to do 1 pair R/L of RCA inputs to 2 pairs of R/L of RCA outputs after the PCB1. I'm running my PCB1 as just a buffer having no vol control. I was going to run the RCA in to the DCB1 and then run two pairs of outputs

I'm going to run on output R/L to a tube amp with 180K input impedance and then the other output R/L to a plate amp (28K input impedance) running a sub.

The 100R resistors run on the ouput.. Is this for situations like I have where the two amps i'm driving are so far apart on input impedance?

For the Right channel as an example. Would I run the + output of a R channel to two 100 R resistors and then one resistor to the 1 Right RCA + output and then the next resistor to the other 1 Right RCA + output?
Old 2nd March 2013, 04:33 PM   #2823
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Picture it as simple as this: Put 100R in line with each output RCA. Connect a DCB1 output channel common to the resistors other end.
Old 2nd March 2013, 04:36 PM   #2824
diyAudio Member

I got ya... Do you just do this to the + of the signal.. Right?
Old 2nd March 2013, 05:57 PM   #2825
diyAudio Member

Pardon my post from a moment ago... Newbie and learning

How hard to run a pair of these:

Just run a set of outputs to these VU meeters?

Last edited by mantha3; 2nd March 2013 at 05:58 PM. Reason: photo
Old 2nd March 2013, 06:18 PM   #2826
diyAudio Member

Here is a link to the meeters I was thinking:

Meeter

I was thinking I could run a 100R resistor inline to the input of the meter and a neutral to the meter. That would get the meter working... Then just run a power for the LED light in the meter.
Old 2nd March 2013, 07:02 PM   #2827
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Meters need dedicated circuits that govern their reading level and deflection speed. You got to research that and/or ask the vendor. 100R goes only to RCA's tip regarding your other question above.
Old 2nd March 2013, 08:55 PM   #2828
diyAudio Member

I've done some internet research. I follow you on that needed circut now.

I'm finding some interesting kits. This kit looks like a candidate. This kit is two Analog VU meters and a PCB for the circut you mention. You could power the PCB with the power supply of the DCB1 perhaps. The VU's look a little cheap so I worry about them holding up...

Link to Kit:
VU KIT

For some reason a pair of back lit VU meters has a cool old school look... If I can pull it off and not mess up the sound/performance of the DCB1 then cool. I think I could buy this kit and then just run a R/Neutral/L connection to this PCB and then power this with the DCB1 PCB.

What connection spots on the DBC1 would have DC10-15V? I'm going to run with a 15 100MA tranny
Old 2nd March 2013, 09:34 PM   #2829
stajo is online now stajo  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Vout, just before the audio circuit has +10, 0 and -10 V. Not sure if you want to plug this there tho, since it might pollute the power feed to the audio circuit.
Old 2nd March 2013, 09:45 PM   #2830
diyAudio Chief Moderator

If that circuit ain't a burden creating too much heat on the 7812 for the relay, take a +12V auxiliary line from there. So not to mess with the audio PSU. Can also tap off from the positive side filter caps with a twisted pair to an additional LM7812 for the meters circuit. With 0.1uF caps across the chip reg's input and output for its stability.

Hide this!Advertise here!