Salas hotrodded blue DCB1 build - Page 278 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th February 2013, 03:59 PM   #2771
Tea-Bag is offline Tea-Bag  United States
not politcally affiliated
diyAudio Member

If you buy two does shipping per unit get any better? I would take one and split the costs of shipping if it helps any.
Old 28th February 2013, 04:07 PM   #2772
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tea-Bag View Post
If you buy two does shipping per unit get any better? I would take one and split the costs of shipping if it helps any.
Assuming you mean the rCore, shipping is $60 for 2 (vs. $38). Helps a bit, but only saves $8 each. May be worth it if a re-ship isn't necessary.
Old 28th February 2013, 04:14 PM   #2773
mantha3 is offline mantha3  United States
diyAudio Member

madisonroberts is running caddock on the power supply caps..with some nice looking heat sink. is this resistor worth going high end? I am sure it can't hurt to go big in this spot I'm sure... I wasn't planning to.. This photo alone makes me tempted. Caddock just looks the best. Once ya start going big I have trouble stopping ;-)

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 28th February 2013, 06:31 PM   #2774
diyAudio Member

I agree, I have a problem with ONLY buying top quality parts.. It is kindof dumb really. Optimally, I think i should build a stock unit with normal everyday resistors/caps and then slowly upgrade to the high quality parts. This way, I could learn first hand what impact these parts have on the sound (if any at all).

Some of the descriptions of the "sound" of these high quality parts is soooo subjective. It would be wrong to take these comments as gospel. Everyone's system is different in so many way.. Everyones ears are different, etc..
Old 28th February 2013, 09:22 PM   #2775
diyAudio Member

The Caddock MP-930, when properly heatsinked can reach upwards of 30W. These resistors are top notch. They are $7.95 at partsconnexion.com.. They sell the recommended heatsink as well ($1.50). So $20 total for this upgrade. I feel it is fully worth it. I have attached the datasheet if you are interested in taking a closer look.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf caddMP-1.pdf (855.4 KB, 266 views)
Old 28th February 2013, 10:48 PM   #2776
diyAudio Member

The top quality parts bug got me. I just purchased the 2 Caddock resistors with the 2 heatsinks!

Not sure if this matters.. I was on the PartsConnexion page for Caddock > MP Series and went to the 10R and purchased 2. The purchase came thru with the "MK-930" detail below... Should I worry?

Quantity Name SKU Each Total
2 CADDOCK-62246 10R / 2.25 (to 30*) Watts, MK-930 Series, 1%, Radial Lead, Precision Metal Film, Each CADDOCK-62246 $7.95 $15.90
2 ACCESS Heatsink for Caddock Resistors - Clip on ACCESS-72307 $1.50 $3.00
Subtotal$18.90
Old 28th February 2013, 11:10 PM   #2777
diyAudio Member

The same thing happened to me. Not sure why it does that. You got it right, don't worry. The "Caddock-62246" is the part number for the 10R MP-930.

I just finished tapping my sinks and i mounted everything on a spare piece of aluminum i had left over from another build. Just wanted to get all the measurements worked out so i can reproduce it flawlessly when i get a chassis.

I know (now) that the rectifiers do not need to be sinked when running 10R resistors. I had already placed an order with heatsinkusa.. I figured it wouldn't hurt them in any way and I might want to crank up the current in the future. This is the same reason i bought large heatsinks. Haha, this is the first time I have ever drilled and tapped my own heatsinks. I bought 4-40 tap originally.. I broke it.. Went back to the hardware store and bought a 6-32. I made sure to look at an online tutorial this time.. Among other things, I didn't know to use oil while tapping. Anyway, most everything is a learning opportunity. I am quite happy with the looks of things thus far though...

All i need is a transformer and a chassis to complete the build. I will keep ya posted.

I am thinking matching exotic wood front panels for my DCB1 and F5. DCB1 with wood knob. Small LED on/off indicators on both units. Not really sure exactly yet..

Regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0013.jpg (662.3 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0015.jpg (613.9 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0012.jpg (664.1 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0016.jpg (373.4 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0017.jpg (583.7 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0018.jpg (468.5 KB, 97 views)
Old 28th February 2013, 11:23 PM   #2778
diyAudio Member

I was just looking at the photos in my last post. I see something potentially very do-able. You would need slightly longer heatsinks (maybe an inch). Im picturing the top cover being a piece of plexi-glass (or THICK glass). Colume control mounted dead center on a front plate of choice (more plexi or exotic wood). Heatsinks would need to be black or anything but anodized (you could get creative here). Black dissipates heat best thought I'd say.. The unit would be connected via umbilical cord to an external power supply that has similar design features..

I wish i had mad skills with a program like "Sketchup". Maybe I will learn..

Just using my imagination.. Not going to do that with this build. Whatd'ya think??
Old 28th February 2013, 11:47 PM   #2779
diyAudio Member

Looks like you have some hot rodded PCB1 tunage in the forecast. Looks good.

You chassis idea sounds cool. I think I going to run some aluminum chassis from EPay or something... Some pretty good looking ones in the 40 - 70 buck range... Plus shipping which I'm sure will hurt.

You are right on the resistors from Cadock on Partsconnexion. I called and they said the same.

I'm getting into some spending spree issues... Got a pair of these today too...

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 28th February 2013, 11:52 PM   #2780
palmito is offline palmito  United States
diyAudio Member

Digikey sells Caddock mp-930's for under $5 for most resistances. If you use the UPS first class shipping the charges are only a few dollars (for US costumers).

Hide this!Advertise here!