Salas hotrodded blue DCB1 build

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
That's what I was thinking. My component analyzer reads it as an N channel JFet, some of the specs are just a bit higher than the real thing. Good thing I asked before I dropped them in.
I appreciate the help.
They can hit the Idss about right but they fail in Yfs (current change) and noise. So the biasing can possibly work but the THD and noise can be way off the mark.

Odd Problem

Hi Salas, I was wondering if you could shed some light or if anyone else has come across this? I finally got round to connecting my bass driver amps to the split i made on the output of the DCB1, (I sent it to a pair of RCA's as well as the chip amps) I had read that this was ok to do. The plate amps are on a wifi power bank so i can easily turn them on and off, the problem is when i turn them on I instantly loose the mid bass from the full range drivers, its very strange. The thing is I had this when I connected the plate amps directly to the back of my AV amp via speaker level connection so I was hoping the DCB1 would fix it and also improve bass performance, not that theres a problem. :) When I connect the plate amps directly to the chip amp output there is no such affect. This is leading to a conclusion that i dont really need the DCB1 heating my lounge up. :( It may be up for sale soon........

Peculiar system thing. Maybe something in the way the plate amps relate to signal ground return. Are there 100 Ohm in-line to signal hot "buffering" resistors to the second set of DCB1 outputs?

No extra r's, it's the bass on the main amps feeding the full range drivers that's affecited not the bass on the plate amps. This doesnt happen with speaker level inputs via the chip amps but it did when connected to my av amp via spkr level cons.

Do you know the combined impedance of all the things in parallel that the DCB1 is attempting to drive?

It looks like the lm3875's are 22k and the only info I can find on my plate amps, (XTZ Amp 1) is its either 10 or 5K depending on which input you use, i am guessing the poster was talking about XLR and RCA, I dont know which belongs to which value. Does this give any clue?

I fitted parallel outputs although i mostly use one set, what is the benefit of fitting 100R resistors and how should they be connected?

Cheers

They need to be fitted in series on the signal between the B1 and your second output, so you need one for each channel on the centre pin of the rca's, one reason is that it will reduce the current draw on the buffer, depends on the combined impedance of the amps your driving, I'm surea Salas will explain things a bit better though.