Salas hotrodded blue DCB1 build

Hello, here again with a noob question. I'm reboxing my cabriolet DCB1... Don't ask me why I did that, but I soldered the MURs under the PCB. Now I'd like to use a large heatsink that will (or it shoud :D) be the base for the box: is this ok? The MURs should be isolated?
Thanks,
Marco

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Marco, the MURs should be definitely isolated. Else... kaboom! :D

RTG7XdLbc.jpeg

Finally have competed builds of my two dcb1s

The first one is now in the chassis for burn in. With an Alps pot. Would be using it with Maya R2R later on.

The second is powering up. The listening was done on the first one so far. And it sounds pretty nice and detailed. Would run a bit more to give more feedback, which would be positive. Provide feedback here only gives good loops))

Thanks

Salas, for the design.

Tea-bag for the kit.

Andrew, for the transformer wiring suggestions and being patient to my questions)

So far I did not group d the dcb1 itself. I should use the power output connector to ground it, am I right?

Or another hand I have noticed an interesting effect when listening. It looks like it has clipping sometimes.

Especially on mp3 recordings when they are going very loud.

The effect is rarely present on flat as well, but I guess this is more due to the calmer music I have in flac.

When the recording goes loud I can hear sound like Shsh and than it goes back to normal.

Current set up is

BBB->USB I2S - >PS Audio Digital link II DAC - > DCB1 pre amp - > audiolab 8000a (line in) or J-MO headphone Amp (with volume pot)

Do you think the clipping can happen to the lack of grounding

uploadfromtaptalk1457062185790.jpg

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Here's my board, case and heatsinks.

Dilemma is how to mount the devices to the heatsinks.

I was thinking either of bolting the heatsinks to chassis as shown, and mounting them to the sides, or, mounting the heat sinks on stand offs and bolting the devices to the underside for a greater surface area.

Any comments very welcome!

7D3CDD66-D282-4BF6-8305-57372D896837_zps8vt7xsfh.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Do you need both sinks?
What is the total worst case dissipation?
What is the worst case device Tj during some fault senarios?
Will the circuit survive until you remove the fault?

Then, what are the temperatures during normal operations.

Do the numbers. Get a feel for what actually happens and what could happen.

Gave noticed another interesting effect. When dcb1 is plugged into audio lab line in. When the volume control is in the first 15-20 minutes I can hear a very loud whistle. When I am past that zone the music plays normally.

It works fine with headphone amp though

DCB1 has reduced the output resistors from 220r (Pass B1) to 100r.
Usually this gives no stability issues, I seem to remember that Salas gave a warning to check stability, but I might be wrong.

I have never had a problem with the lower value output resistors.

Are you talking about time from switch ON?
or degrees of rotation of the vol pot?
I am counting the degree of rotation from the mute position

It might be the problem of the audiophile itself as I can here hum even with no input counted at upper volumes on the audiolab itself

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
DCB1 has reduced the output resistors from 220r (Pass B1) to 100r.
Usually this gives no stability issues, I seem to remember that Salas gave a warning to check stability, but I might be wrong.

I have never had a problem with the lower value output resistors.

Are you talking about time from switch ON?
or degrees of rotation of the vol pot?

From 1K to 220R actually. Its beneficial to output impedance and audible to the better. I had indeed given a directive to check if more resistance is needed in case a whistle is heard. But it proved not so troublesome because we learned about one whistling incident only as far as I remember. It was a member driving long lines to active home studio type monitors. I don't remember if he solved it by installing higher resistors or he changed the cables with less capacitive type in the end.

What is the recommended VA rating for a 15-0-15 transformer for 1A hotrod? I keep finding conflicting answers regarding size. Some say 50VA, 80VA and others 100VA. I think some of this variation has to due with not running the transformer near it's max rated load and heat.

Also, if it matters I am considering a custom wound EI core (with distance from the PCB of course).