Salas hotrodded blue DCB1 build - Page 248 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th November 2012, 11:23 PM   #2471
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

dimkasta what speakers you drive in that system, pls remind me?
Old 27th November 2012, 07:23 AM   #2472
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimkasta View Post
Offset you mean mV?
A photo of the case should help us see any possible solutions to your trafo real estate problem.
yep, it's mV of course
I'll make few pics on this week later.

Quote:
I finally wired everything together on the chassis.
what was the previous pre paired in you system with Elektrocompaniet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
... Ebay R-Cores are a gamble. When made right its the best solution, when not, a downright failure for heating and buzzing. Feeling lucky on the one you linked?
thanks, Salas! in that case I wouldn't consider any r-core at all
Quote:
Thus they should be coming from the same manufacturer and be same model having very low tolerances between them, and they should be wired with same magnetic polarity.
that wouldn't be a problem I think. Thanks for the article, I'll take a look later.

Quote:
But you already have 630mA on average which is decent hot rod in the compact. Another option would be a 100VA single toroid in another box, saving you the hum field also.
nahhh, I'm eager for some really hot stuff, at least 1.2A So that the whole case would be hot (about 55c, more as you've mentioned is not a good idea).
I was thinking about separate PS box, but then decided not to have one as my heatsinks would be definitely to small for 2A current and 200VA toroid that I would have put there I'll add some copper or Mu-metal for shielding if noise happens to be a problem.
Old 27th November 2012, 07:29 AM   #2473
diyAudio Member

@salas
I have a pair of PBN Montana EP Signature

@dtses
I had an Audio Research LS-25 for about 2 years and for the last year I had a Klimo Merlin.
Old 27th November 2012, 05:50 PM   #2474
KT is offline KT  United States
diyAudio Member

Wow, very good, Dimitri. The box is a LOT bigger than I thought it was. Looks very good.

I like your description of the sound. You may have said earlier, but which Caddocks are you using? Have you tried the Vishay Z-Foil? I wonder how they compare.

I'm building a DCB1 at some point and am looking to hotrod it as well. I wonder how some of the more euphonic resistors, like Rikens, Kiwames, etc., fare in the critical signal positions?

Thanks for sharing!

Last edited by KT; 27th November 2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old 27th November 2012, 05:57 PM   #2475
Tea-Bag is offline Tea-Bag  United States
not politcally affiliated
diyAudio Member

KT, I believe he is using Caddock Power resistors in the Power resistor position.
I think you will find that the signal section resistors 220,220k will take on a different sound signature with various resistors. I found carbon films to modify the sound too much for my taste, but others really liked the Takman's if there system was already too hard sounding.
Salas Boards 2014 #2 SHIPPED |F5TC board and power supplies available PM | Hot-Rod DCB1 boards and kits available PM |Mesmerize kits available (no boards)
Old 27th November 2012, 06:42 PM   #2476
diyAudio Member

Thanks KT

As Mike said, I use Caddocks on the PSU Rset position. They are MP930.
The signal ones are the PRPs that Mike included in the kit.

For the moment it's still breaking in and it sounds a bit over-analytic and harsh. I would love to get some more strength on the mid-lows to make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside

I have the Z-Foils and a better pot scheduled for a bit later, but if it gets a bit warmer in a week or so I would really consider leaving it as it is now
Old 27th November 2012, 06:50 PM   #2477
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tea-Bag View Post
I think you will find that the signal section resistors 220,220k will take on a different sound signature with various resistors.
Mike are the 220K ones quality sensitive as well? If I remember correctly they are not in series with signal.
Old 27th November 2012, 06:53 PM   #2478
KT is offline KT  United States
diyAudio Member

OK, great to know. I'll have to consider those Caddock MP930's. Good to hear the regular PRPs give a good sound. Please give an update once the parts burn in and loosen up.

I can't wait to see the case with the maple knob installed!
Old 27th November 2012, 06:56 PM   #2479
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks KT

For the moment it's still breaking in and it sounds a bit over-analytic and harsh. I would love to get some more strength on the mid-lows to make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside
This was my reaction exactly - I built three and the one that was the least objectionable in this regard used Nichicon Super-through power caps and Amtrans resistors in the signal path. I didn't use anything special for R101.
Old 27th November 2012, 07:39 PM   #2480
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Thanks KT

As Mike said, I use Caddocks on the PSU Rset position. They are MP930.
The signal ones are the PRPs that Mike included in the kit.

I have the Z-Foils and a better pot scheduled for a bit later, but if it gets a bit warmer in a week or so I would really consider leaving it as it is now
Use thin coax shielded wire. Open signal cabling loop catches stuff. And there are toroids about. That buffer passes 150-200kHz square wave. That translates to near or over a MHZ -3dB depending on pot source impedance. Also the red caps are very influential, maybe you like 47uF to 220uF good electrolytic or another film cap there. Its just a Wima now.

Hide this!Advertise here!