Salas hotrodded blue DCB1 build - Page 242 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st November 2012, 08:05 PM   #2411
diyAudio Member

Damn I hate you
Old 21st November 2012, 08:14 PM   #2412
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 21st November 2012, 08:31 PM   #2413
diyAudio Member

my..... prrrrreciousssss......
Old 21st November 2012, 09:21 PM   #2414
diyAudio Member

Finally finished the board and turned it on. Three leds per rail are glowing, the rest had to be resoldered due to mixed up markings on the board. Now it's fine and working with some rather small spare toroid i have found in the closet it's only 70x30mm with no markings at all that leaves me thinking of some 30va, not much for a hod rod, but ok for testing. I put it with 3w Dale 6 ohm resistors and got about 2.1vdc across them, so i'm only in the beginning of burning the house

One thing needs to be clarified though, i have 12v relay and it seems to behave quite weird to my mind - kind of some whispering all the time and it activates only after a couple of minutes once VDC reaches 5v (it starts with ~2.5), then after 5 min it shows about 6.66vdc with the same annoying sound still there. Relay was bought from german shop via ebay, could it be defective or this is the right way it should work and sound here?!

Last edited by dtses; 21st November 2012 at 09:23 PM.
Old 21st November 2012, 09:59 PM   #2415
diyAudio Member

Did you properly follow the note to jumper the resistor pads for the 12V relay?
Old 21st November 2012, 10:46 PM   #2416
diyAudio Chief Moderator

That, or not using a Darlington BC517 for driving the relay coil but a simple NPN instead. In that case a 100n ceramic or MKT cap from base to collector will stop the chatter. Assuming the relay is good of course.
Old 22nd November 2012, 07:22 AM   #2417
diyAudio Member

Morning,
thanks for the help!

dimkasta
sure!

Salas
I have BC517 bought from the shop with BC517 printing on it. Anyway, I've added mkt as you suggested and it solved the noise issue. Though I still do not understand what is wrong with my BC517?! or could it be bc550? the last one was found in a closet too, so I don't remember when and where I bought it

What is the time for relay to click? it's about 40sec now, is it ok and could it be altered to some 5-10? now it's switching on 6vdc and goes up to 10.6v.
Old 22nd November 2012, 10:34 AM   #2418
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

a darlington bc517 is not the correct way to switch a relay.
Use two separate transistors. A driver to tell the switcher to activate the relay coil.
Set the switcher to ~hFE=10 for lowest Vsat (10mV to 100mV) while ON.

The lowest Vsat for darlington is ~700mV and that is a big proportion of a 5V supply feeding a 5V relay coil.
Old 22nd November 2012, 12:02 PM   #2419
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtses View Post
Morning,
thanks for the help!

dimkasta
sure!

Salas
I have BC517 bought from the shop with BC517 printing on it. Anyway, I've added mkt as you suggested and it solved the noise issue. Though I still do not understand what is wrong with my BC517?! or could it be bc550? the last one was found in a closet too, so I don't remember when and where I bought it

What is the time for relay to click? it's about 40sec now, is it ok and could it be altered to some 5-10? now it's switching on 6vdc and goes up to 10.6v.
What part number of relay is that? Have you got a jumper where the PCB has "note" since you said its a 12V type? Have you installed the diode under the relay in the right way? BC517 and the proper relays by Omron, Nais TQ series, or NEC had 100% score of working together in the multitude of builds referred here at least. They normally take a couple of seconds to click.
Old 22nd November 2012, 12:22 PM   #2420
Tea-Bag is offline Tea-Bag  United States
not politcally affiliated
diyAudio Member

Add to that the Panasonic 12TQ3 I sent out with many a kit. No problems reported with those.

Hide this!Advertise here!