Salas hotrodded blue DCB1 build - Page 226 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st November 2012, 12:54 AM   #2251
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Several options and stuff then. Put it together better and let it play a little tomorrow and the day after as you say. Nice about pods and carts.
Old 1st November 2012, 01:06 AM   #2252
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Are those relays in the pic sensing DC on output beyond over bias also?
Electrocompaniet AW 120 voltage conversion
Old 1st November 2012, 01:32 AM   #2253
diyAudio Member

I really have no clue. I have never opened it or abused it in any way.
The only obvious effect they have during normal operation is clicking after 4-5 secs from power on which probably means soft starting?
Old 1st November 2012, 01:36 AM   #2254
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Sure. But there could be I sense also or DC sense also. The manual does not say about its protection modes?
Old 1st November 2012, 01:50 AM   #2255
diyAudio Member

I cannot find the manual now, but I do not remember any mentions for protection features. I remember it warning against connecting/disconnecting inteconnects while the amp is active.
Old 1st November 2012, 02:08 AM   #2256
diyAudio Member

Here s the link to the 100 version. The manual is basically identical to the one I have

http://www.electrocompaniet.com/file...s/aw100dmb.pdf

Thanks for your time in any case. You ve been awesome...
Old 1st November 2012, 02:16 AM   #2257
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Better not risk it then.
Old 1st November 2012, 09:21 AM   #2258
diyAudio Member

By the way, with the ~150mAs the mosfets were absolutely cold to the touch after a few hours of listening.

I m ready to go higher I will leave it like that for a week or so to let it break in a bit and get a more solid idea of its sound while I work on the chassis and the volume control, and when everything else is more or less done I will hookup additional resistors.

I have some cheap 12R 5W ones which will be perfect for testing as you suggested

Some more first impressions after a few hours of low volume CD listening:
I have listened to a few CDs including some nice classic music by FIM (very nice mastering on most of them) and then some Classic Records. After that I switched to some plain rock and pop CDs. What got me by surprise was that some CDs that I considered really bad amazed me. Like the Metallica S&M. On the other hand some mediocre ones remained mediocre. Like the FIM Scotish Fantasy by Oistrach
The buffer seems really fast. The highs are excellent, the lows seem to go really low and are very very controlled and powerful.
I have some reservations about the mids and mid-lows but it could be because of the fresh mundorfs, the low volume and the cheapish pot.
About the soundstage, it is so freakishly wide even with that low volume. There are microdetails everywhere and the speakers have completely dissapeared. What was weird was that at some points the sounds were a bit fuzzy, almost as if the sound was out of phase. But this could also be because of the rough placement of the speakers.

My first day overall impression is that if I manage to get more focused soundstage and a bit more bite to the mids I will be crazy happy

In any case, the buffer is a keeper. And it had some really big shoes to fill since it replaced an Arc LS-25 and a Klimo Merlin
Old 1st November 2012, 12:10 PM   #2259
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimkasta View Post
By the way, with the ~150mAs the mosfets were absolutely cold to the touch ............
This is cause for concern.
A CCS + Shunt regulator dissipates much energy. It's inherent in the design philosophy.

If the input voltage is too low then the CCS mosFET has less work to do. If it is much too low then the CCS mosFET will remain cold due to zero dissipation.

If the output current is very close to the CCS current then the Shunt mosFET will have little work to do.
If the output current equals the CCS current then the Shunt mosFET will be cold.

If Dim's observation is correct, then the CCS and the Shunt are not working.
Dim needs to properly measure the regulator and determine that it is working properly or actually report the true temperature rises of both the CCS mosFET and the Shunt mosFET.
Old 1st November 2012, 02:18 PM   #2260
diyAudio Member

I m not at home right now to measure stuff, but last night the regulator gave ~9,9V on each rail Vout.

Perhaps it was an exaggeration to say "absolutely cold". They were rather "not warm" or "finger temperature".

In any case Andrew just to play it safe, what measurements would you suggest?

Hide this!Advertise here!