Salas hotrodded blue DCB1 build

Wow; pretty!

dettaglio_sumiko_blue_evo.jpg

My latest output for my new 22K amps...

10uF K75-10 PIOs bypassed with 0.1uF FT-3s for a really deep rolloff.

attachment.php

Those 10uF PIOs are HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10cm in length and ~5cm in diameter.

attachment.php

To be honest I felt that these things were too much, and I was pretty much ready to put back the ~5uF set.
I wasn't expecting such a big improvement. Even with 0 breaking in time, the bass is at least as low and articulate, the mids are way clearer (probably because of 1 main cap instead of two 2.2uFs I was using the past few days) and the highs are really through the roof. Still not on-par with the solo FT-3, but impressively decent for a freshly soldered set.

There is only some thinnish feeling on the mid-lows like last time, but I expect it to go away in a couple of days of listening.

I was expecting the 4.7uFs to arrive first so that I made my testing sequence more logical, but to be honest at this point I really do not think I will bother changing the coupling caps again.

I really need a new chassis for it though...

Attachments

• DSCF0610.jpg
    DSCF0610.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 282
  • DSCF0612.jpg
    DSCF0612.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 281
Actually the outer connection was made on the FT3 leads and the PIOs are connected with the bridge. You think there might be a benefit moving the connection to the PIOs with bigger bridges to the FT3?

The above measurement BTW was a fast one with leads just caught with the probes and not cleansed or soldered.

The DF for properly cleansed and soldered caps is ~0.0040

Connect the leads to the outside world at the main capacitor.
instead, connect the "through route" to the component that benefits most from the least inductance of the connection.
The "return" route must also be arranged for least inductance.

This is something I offered up for discussion and testing many months ago.
I seem to recall only one Member reporting having tested the idea.