Salas hotrodded blue DCB1 build

The first mosfet appears to drop from rail to 10 volts..... the next steady at 10 volts.

So, as long as your pre-regulated voltage ensures that Vsd is within the operating limits of the first mosfet then the regulator should work. Assuming the heatsinks can dissipate the power due to the voltage dropped by the first mosfet.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
For the K170 and the LEDs headroom to ground with 20V raw across the PCB smoothing caps you have enough, plus mains drop margin. To kill the K170 it takes over 46VDC across those caps which would guarantee furnace dissipation on the input MOSFET with the mA current level you work now long before you went so high in voltage.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hmmm I will have to take a look at the data sheets.

Look for this chart. 10V is good enough for that concern also.

Attachments

• 2014-05-04_003321.png
    2014-05-04_003321.png
    31.2 KB · Views: 248
With 25 volt caps, the supply is already on the edge with 18 vac transformer. The caps need to be upgraded to 35 volts. Looks like I was already running them too hard! I will get some caps with a higher rating first. This will take some time, but will report back asap.

Any suggestions that will fit the board? Thanks!

The preregulator voltage with the bigger transformer is 26.5 V. Too high for the 25 volt caps. With the smaller transformer, the preregulated voltage is 21.5 V. The most convenient approach is to get a bigger transformer to fit into the existing case.

Last edited:
I'm just about there with gathering all the bits to put my pre together.
All my music is digital sourced so I only need a USB input therefore I don't have an input selector. I may add one later if the need arises.

I've attached a picture of my proposed layout. The green board is an ODAC and in the future I may implement some kind of remote system once I get my head round how it works hence the motorized pot. Ive had a look at other layouts and they all vary so I was hoping someone would kindly sanity check my idea.

I have the board, pot and DAC at the rear to minimise signal runs and the tranny at the front. This way the MOSFETS are in the centre as I will be using the base as a sink. Ignore the outputs on the DAC - I put them there for testing.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• tmp_20140508_164618-33387437.jpg
    tmp_20140508_164618-33387437.jpg
    493.8 KB · Views: 231