Salas hotrodded blue DCB1 build - Page 168 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th February 2012, 10:29 PM   #1671
evanc is offline evanc  United States
diyAudio Member

Location: New Jersey. About 1 hour from NYC and 1 min. from the beach
OK so we are figuring the current by the voltage drop across the power resistors only....Leave it to me to try and make it more complicated.

Thanks
Old 24th February 2012, 10:32 PM   #1672
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

On which one rail you got the most drop on Rset? Use a bigger value there so to match the less drop one by Iccs=RsetVdrop/Rset. But 50mA differences won't change them transconductance when you are around the 0.5A mark. So don't strive for very good matching of CCS currents per rail.
Old 24th February 2012, 10:48 PM   #1673
evanc is offline evanc  United States
diyAudio Member

Location: New Jersey. About 1 hour from NYC and 1 min. from the beach
The plus rail is dropping more voltage. I like the don't do anything option the best....This thing sounds soooo nice.
Thanks for the help, Evan
Old 24th February 2012, 11:32 PM   #1674
diyAudio Member

The power resistors imply the current available from the ccs. Your DCB1 will never come close to using that much. I beleive it has more to do with impedance and the ease at which the current is delivered.
Old 26th February 2012, 08:31 PM   #1675
diyAudio Member

Default help

Hi,

I'm a relatively new guy with a new guy question.

My understanding is that the black Hypnotize board, offered by Tea-Bag, does not have volume control, and the hot rod supplies a higher current that supposedly increases the soundstage. Other than impedance matching, what do you feel is the sonic advantage of the B1 buffer?

I'm using a four channel MiniDSP with an on-board potentiometer, but I've read that it's non-optimal to attenuate the line-level volume in the digital domain because of SNR and "bit conversion accuracy" issues.

I would use two Hypnotize boards for all four channels. I don't require the Mezmerize board because I don't need more than one input source for each board. However, for reasons stated above, I would like to have some volume control in the analog domain, after the digital signal processing, and before I feed the signal to my power amplifiers... i.e. I need a good preamp with unity voltage gain and volume attenuation.

I could control volume from the DSP, and feed the Hypnotize board, but how would this be an advantage in regard to the audio quality? Isn't the B1 just one more potential noise source added to my audio chain? What is the advantage of the B1 without volume control?

Thanks,
Mason
Old 27th February 2012, 12:21 AM   #1676
diyAudio Member

I will sum up why the DCzb1 is excellent. I recently built a new tube preamp and didnt have a 50k pot for it, so i just wired it up and used the dcb1 as a volume control. Today i added the pot to the tube pre and removed the dcb1. Removing the dcb1 changed the sound so little that i would have a hard time telling whether it was in the chain or not. For a passive pre, you cannot say more. to Nelson and Salas.
Old 27th February 2012, 07:40 PM   #1677
Pboden is offline Pboden  Norway
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.

Just finished mine, but the leds are not giving me the complete lightshow. V- is ok, but the V+ is around 7vdc

Any idea where to start looking ?
Old 27th February 2012, 07:41 PM   #1678
Tea-Bag is offline Tea-Bag  United States
not politcally affiliated
diyAudio Member

Check Polarity of LEDS?
VgS measure across the FETS, voltage across the 10Rs.
Salas Boards 2014 #2 Click Here to Sign Up! |F5TC board and power supplies available PM | Hot-Rod DCB1 boards and kits available PM |Mesmerize kits available (no boards)
Old 27th February 2012, 07:48 PM   #1679
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Usually one or more LEDS are put the wrong way around in the dim strings or are dead. A DMM in diode tester mode if able to light an LED, can be used to touch each and one up, as they are installed no problem, to see if some are dead due to too much iron. Else it can be some semis but one check at a time.
Old 27th February 2012, 07:51 PM   #1680
Pboden is offline Pboden  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
Usually one or more LEDS are put the wrong way around in the dim strings or are dead. A DMM in diode tester mode if able to light an LED, can be used to touch each and one up, as the are installed no problem, to see if some are dead due to too much iron. Else it can be some semis but one check at a time.
So.. if there is a dead led one place, the others will no light up ?

Hide this!Advertise here!