Salas hotrodded blue DCB1 build - Page 156 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd December 2011, 01:57 AM   #1551
diyAudio Member

I referenced another board to determine positioning of LED's. Although it had the diode symbol, I did not pay attention to that and was paying attention to square vs round pcb hole. It just so happens that they arranged their anode as square hole and cathode as round hole, just the opposite of the DCB1. Now the leds are switched and all is good. -2mV offset on both channels. This is now paired with BA-3 FE and BA-3 output with 2 pairs of lateral output fets, biased at .75A per fet. It sounds wonderful. I cant wait to crank the bias up from 60mA to 200mA and then on to 600mA.
Old 22nd December 2011, 02:35 AM   #1552
syklab is offline syklab  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tea-Bag View Post
woodturner-fran did the most extensive listening test with different values, and found .22uf to be a good spot, and a lot of us followed that example.
If I had to choose for you, the MKP1837 would be my choice, measure well and well regarded.
Hi Tea-bag,
How about the MKP1839? Is that any good? I have a few of them and plan to use on the DCB1.

VISHAY ROEDERSTEIN|MKP1839410164|CAPACITOR AXIAL, MKP, 100NF, 160V | e絡盟 Hong Kong
Old 22nd December 2011, 08:51 AM   #1553
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
I referenced another board to determine positioning of LED's. Although it had the diode symbol, I did not pay attention to that and was paying attention to square vs round pcb hole. It just so happens that they arranged their anode as square hole and cathode as round hole, just the opposite of the DCB1. Now the leds are switched and all is good. -2mV offset on both channels. This is now paired with BA-3 FE and BA-3 output with 2 pairs of lateral output fets, biased at .75A per fet. It sounds wonderful. I cant wait to crank the bias up from 60mA to 200mA and then on to 600mA.
Happy end. Congratulations.
Old 25th December 2011, 04:25 AM   #1554
diyAudio Member

Hi All,
My preamp just went dead recently and I'm considering building a DCB1 as my new preamp. I currently have a UCD400 power amp. Do you think a balanced DCB1->UCD400 would be a good combination? I have searched several threads but seemed not see this combination in any discussion... Please let me know if you think there might be any problem with them.
Also, I have an UCD softstart module that I plan to use on DCB1. Would there be any problem in doing so? Thanks a lot!
Old 25th December 2011, 09:59 PM   #1555
diyAudio Member

Ijust turned up the bias to 750mA. Wow! Everything is clearer with more body and grunt. Softer but clearer somehow. Based on what i am hearing, i will try 1A bias and maybe even 2A. I would turn up the bias before spending a lot of money on parts of an exotic nature. I tried multiple caps and nothing compared to the change brought about by more bias. I have them on a 4" high 10.8 heatsink from HeTsink USA, and they arent even sweating with plenty of room for more. Salas, phenominal job!
Old 26th December 2011, 01:26 AM   #1556
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Burning Amp meeting category stuff. I guess you will be attending. ...Pictures?
Old 26th December 2011, 12:53 PM   #1557
diyAudio Member

Pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0079.JPG (732.4 KB, 372 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0082.JPG (713.9 KB, 363 views)
Old 26th December 2011, 12:58 PM   #1558
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

That won't fit in any of my CDP nor DVDP equipment.
Looks good though.
Old 26th December 2011, 12:59 PM   #1559
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
Pics
That's hot-rod alright.
Old 26th December 2011, 01:51 PM   #1560
diyAudio Member

The heatsink is overkill. I could probably mount directly to 1/16" bottom and be fine. Did it to try higher bias setting. Will try higher bias soon.

I am reminded of John Curl talking abbout how much time he put into his psu and regulatr section. This makes me a beliver.

Last edited by buzzforb; 26th December 2011 at 01:57 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!