Salas hotrodded blue DCB1 build - Page 155 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st December 2011, 01:05 AM   #1541
diyAudio Member

I also have Mundorf .22uF Zn that I will try. Why would a larger cap hurt? unless its part of a filter, I always thought bigger is better.
Old 21st December 2011, 08:14 AM   #1542
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

To really say bigger in this filter you go to elcap. And there is position. Just try your filmcaps there and see if you can have a preference.
Old 21st December 2011, 11:01 AM   #1543
diyAudio Member

Fired it up last night and have some issues. First set of LEDS do not light up and there are 6V dropping across first mosfet Rs. No vltage across the 100R resistors of the sk170 ccs. Does this point to bad Jfet or something with mosfets? Other LEd's light up and are looking good in their operation so it seems that i am having trouble with my current setting section.
Old 21st December 2011, 11:23 AM   #1544
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Which half of the dual polarity supply is not working as expected?
Post a schematic showing the errant voltages of the non working half.
Old 21st December 2011, 11:35 AM   #1545
Marra is offline Marra  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
How crucial is film cap value. I have .1uF Mkp1837 and 1uF Clarity cap.
Try two MKP1837's in parallel; they worked extremely well in my two builds.
Old 21st December 2011, 12:42 PM   #1546
Tea-Bag is offline Tea-Bag  United States
not politcally affiliated
diyAudio Member

Buzz, make sure the LED's are not in backwards there. Easy mistake.
You should be able to diode tester across there, and one way other get some voltage reading, light or both.
Salas Boards 2014 #2 SHIPPED |F5TC board and power supplies available PM | Hot-Rod DCB1 boards and kits available PM |Mesmerize kits available (no boards)
Old 21st December 2011, 01:06 PM   #1547
diyAudio Member

THe voltage regulation section of both halves is working, it is the current regulation part that is not. Both sets of 5 LEDs are lit up and well balanced and I am getting 10.43+ and 10.41- to the actual buffer section. THe triplets controlling both + and - current setting function are not lit up and I am not getting anything across the 100R resistor to ground. I am dropping almost 6V across the dual 47R current setting resistors on both rails. 17V in to this area from rectifiers. The LEDS are oriented just like the ones that are working properly in the voltage stage. It would seem with the numbers I am getting that the 2sk170 ccs is not proving any current to the diodes. anoter oddity is the fact that the LED to delay circuit is not lighting up even though you can hear the relay latch, which would suggest that it is working.
Old 21st December 2011, 01:12 PM   #1548
diyAudio Member

I assume it was probably answered before...does this film cap affect on sound? I now have Wima MKP (from Tea-Bag kit) and wondering if it's worth to upgrade to something more exotic. Or should I just tra to bypass with MKP1837?
Old 21st December 2011, 01:14 PM   #1549
diyAudio Member

I just realized in typing that the LEds are incorrect. Nwly installed LED in delay section was not working even though the relay was latching. I have anode in square and cathode in round hole. THis is incorrect but for some reason the voltage control section is lighting up.
Old 21st December 2011, 04:18 PM   #1550
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by igor0203 View Post
I assume it was probably answered before...does this film cap affect on sound? I now have Wima MKP (from Tea-Bag kit) and wondering if it's worth to upgrade to something more exotic. Or should I just tra to bypass with MKP1837?

Its a bypass cap for the LED's that is by nature there to help with noise I believe. How much affect different caps have in that position is up to your ears.

Hide this!Advertise here!