Bass Tone Control

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Tone Controls have been excluded in preamp ccts in audio circles for quite a few years and tempers get frayed just talking about them.
However, high quality tone controls are a very necessary building block in the preparation of the music we listwen to, so ......

I'm looking for information about a way of building a high quality bass tone control as a "tilt control" centred at 100Hz with gain/cut slopes limited to maximum about +/- 6db/oct in 1 dB/oct steps and limited from 10Hz up to the Xovers HiPass of 150Hz.
I have the impression that discrete component ccts (or perhaps, "low gain IC" ccts) give better sound, but could easily be wrong about this.

IIRC, Quad used a version like this some years ago that was rather useful - would anyone have this cct or something that functions in a similar way and also have very high quality?

Thanks Jim,
We use all sorts of complicated filters on our Rec boards (desk) and the sound quality doesn't suffer too much if minimum gain/loss is used.
Unfortunately, IMO, the use of these similar type filters in hifi systems degrades the audio quality drastically - Reckhorn, Berhinger, etc.

Why not full range, multi purpose, magic boxes?

The mid/top freqs >160Hz are via the F3 amp in combination with the Coral beta8 speakers and I don't want to add the filter ccts to this unless necessary - the Bass drivers, in B4 alignment, are powered by an F5 amp (voltage gain) and I think that a small deterioration of sound quality here with the extra ccts would be acceptable with music that requires "adjustment" - plus, bypass switches .....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.