dialectics and shield of an umbilical cord?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm finishing up my linestage which will have a separate PSU box. The crazy dac I made based on a Audio Note board that is tube output dual mono tube rectified with 3 separate supplies for the dac board. Recently I decided to try shielding its umbilical cord with some tin copper braid which I then grounded to chassis.

The result was the highs really came to life and things came into better focus. The drawback is notes and instruments lost their relaxed quality and roundness. It's a little more SS sounding. I'm trying to R&D before I build the ones for the linestage.

I have the braid flat again the umbilical and just for looks wrapped it in electrical tape. I've read about using air as a dialectic and I've had similar gains and losses when I put a ferrite on a power cord.

Am I going about it the wrong way? Should I be braiding the DC wires? Should I be looking for shielded wires from anyone? Should there be an air cushion between the braid and the umbilical?

I've played with length. It was originally 5ft in order to get the PSU away. The performance increased with every foot a shortened it. So either I'm not making it right or shorter DC lines is better.

I'm going to try and un-ground it and also see if I don't cover the whole length but have it grounded. Its really made the sound too hard. Weird something as seemingly small as that has such impact which is why I want to find the best recipe for the ones I make for the pre-amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.