The "Make Before Break" connection for audio interconnects (MBB configuration)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sure why not. It's one of those things where the industry has been using the RCA forever...and its almost by default that it is used. Similar to the XLR. Of course, the XLR has its own unique advantages. Hell, I would prefer no connectors if practical.

ARXIDI!:D

Spiro

I have a much simpler and elegant solution than re-doing all your cable and component connectors for BNCs and hoping the industry adopts them as a new standard.

DON'T SWAP YOUR CABLES OUT WITH THE SYSTEM POWERED UP! :D

se

As I said, there is a series of advantages that BNC offers over the RCA, not only the MBB.

I am talking about designing an audio system to achieve the best. Of course one could switch off his equipment but... why do we need to do so when there are better alternatives?
A little bit of thought :D

I doubt BNC has sufficient current handling for most speaker connections, but for line level it'd be fine.

Yes that is entirelly correct! I have defined now in the article that it should be good for a low power amplifier.
BTW the tiny SMA connectors, which have thinner internal conductor than BNC, can handle up to 50W of RF power, should this give you a measure of the power handling of a BNC for audio...?
I found in an article that the power handling of a BNC is 80 Watts at 1GHz, if this is the same for audio it is more than enough for most room listenners..
Thank you

Last edited:
As I said, there is a series of advantages that BNC offers over the RCA, not only the MBB.

I am talking about designing an audio system to achieve the best. Of course one could switch off his equipment but... why do we need to do so when there are better alternatives?

Fair 'nuff.

Though what if one feels that balanced interfaces achieve the best? :D

se

A better alternative:
Select another input line of your preamplifier before insert the RCA plugs and then return to the previous one.
As you said: "A little bit of thought"

I found in an article that the power handling of a BNC is 80 Watts at 1GHz, if this is the same for audio it is more than enough for most room listenners..
Thank you

Surprisingly high! Would be sufficient for many setups but I still think many speaker cables will be hard to solder to typical BNC plugs. A standard speaker connector, other than the giant Speakon ones, would be nice though.

A better alternative:
Select another input line of your preamplifier before insert the RCA plugs and then return to the previous one.
As you said: "A little bit of thought"

The easiest to do is just lower the volume I think, but as I mentioned in the article are also other advantages of the bnc (and similar connectors of course, like TNC etc). Mechanical rigidity, ultra fine contact, immune to dust from fingers and environment etc.

I was thinking about using coaxial cables when wrote this connector, maybe in an extreme LSC configuration, K.Giannopoulos official site but I have opened another thread about LSC

80W hot disconnect at audio frequencies and loads would probably see the middle pin on the BNC getting burnt out pretty quickly. Also I don't really like the suggestion of mixing low level and powered level interfaces solely on a convenience basis.

Otherwise I'm a fan of the BNC connection as well, unfortunately the basic type has no provision for balanced connection in a single plug, is kind of large for multi-channel and the construction costs are inherently higher (though no higher than metal body XLR!)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.