Connect Microphone to Phono - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analog Line Level

Analog Line Level Preamplifiers , Passive Pre-amps, Crossovers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th June 2010, 10:19 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Connect Microphone to Phono

I am going to buy a new audio interface to record sound from my microphone to my computer, it is the Behringer UFO202, and has a built in phono preamp. So I need to connet the microphone to the phono input, but I'm not sure how. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 25th June 2010, 12:48 PM   #2
Shaun is offline Shaun  South Africa
diyAudio Member

This preamp is not meant for microphones.
Old 25th June 2010, 12:58 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

So does this mean I need to get a mic preamp, I was originally thinking of building one.
Old 25th June 2010, 05:25 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

The problem is that the phono preamplifier has RIAA equalization and thus will throw away highs and accentuate lows. It will work but won't sound good.

You could modify it to make it a flat amplifier or you could build one. It's almost the simplest thing in the world to build; you use an op amp and set the gain to a reasonable value. You just need a proper power supply but the plethora of op amps out there will undoubtedly have one that matches whatever power supply you have.
Old 25th June 2010, 06:06 PM   #5
benb is offline benb  United States
diyAudio Member

There are many interfaces that have microphone preamps built-in instead of phono preamps. If low cost is a big object (and if you're looking at Behringer equipment, it probably is), you may be better off buying such an interface rather than this one. If you still need a phono preamp, they are readily available in EVERY price range.

What microphone is this? If it's a "computer mic" and has a 1/8" plug, it already plugs into the "mic in" of many computers. Depending on your application, you may need a better one.

Hide this!Advertise here!